• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:32:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127
Sogou

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Nothing Was As It Should Be (AU)

Started by drakensis, January 06, 2015, 04:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

There used to be a radio show in the UK that had a group of panelists debating "what ifs" in history. "What if Hitler had succeeded as an artist and stayed in Vienna", "What if JFK had not been assassinated". It seems to me that this story is a "what if" and clearly marked as such. Great fun but not effecting what really happened in history or canon.

I sympathize with the auto correct and suggest a new challenge. The best story or filk  from  auto corrects. So far "'darkness engulfs Marion...
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

"and have another one started (might never get around to finishing and posting it, but it's started) that has me involved in a freak accident that lands me in the middle of the Basilica courtyard just a year or two after KKB, and wondering how the heck I'm going to get back home." - Evie

Can I suggest that given some of the things you have put your littles through you ask Aerlys to teach you the latin act of contrition very, very  quickly  ;D
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 09, 2015, 10:34:47 AM
"and have another one started (might never get around to finishing and posting it, but it's started) that has me involved in a freak accident that lands me in the middle of the Basilica courtyard just a year or two after KKB, and wondering how the heck I'm going to get back home." - Evie

Can I suggest that given some of the things you have put your littles through you ask Aerlys to teach you the latin act of contrition very, very  quickly  ;D

I would need to be properly penitent first, though, wouldn't I?  *smirk!*   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

Quote from: revanne on January 09, 2015, 03:32:44 AM
I sympathize with the auto correct and suggest a new challenge. The best story or filk  from  auto corrects. So far "'darkness engulfs Marion...

If we do that, then my vote is for Laurna to write us a story about poor Sister Disarray.  And Annie would need to write her thrilling tale of King Brion and his nicely trimmed bears.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Quote from: Evie on January 09, 2015, 10:55:58 AM

In that case, you should probably just settle for, "Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa..."

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on January 09, 2015, 11:42:27 AM
Quote from: Evie on January 09, 2015, 10:55:58 AM

In that case, you should probably just settle for, "Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa..."

ROFL!  Yes, that fits.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Quote from: Evie on January 09, 2015, 10:59:06 AM
Quote from: revanne on January 09, 2015, 03:32:44 AM

If we do that, then my vote is for Laurna to write us a story about poor Sister Disarray.  And Annie would need to write her thrilling tale of King Brion and his nicely trimmed bears.  ;D

I could throw in a heard of horses to be chased by King Brion's nicely trimmed bears.   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

Sister Disarray sings a ditty about Darkness over powering Marion, and heards of horses trampling across the field toward King Brion's nicely trimmed bears.

All while Editor Evie defends the scene single handily with her steady pen. (or is that magic keyboard). ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

It's definitely a magic keyboard, because no one would be able to read my spell work if I did my magic with a pen!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Dropping oneself into the story---too easy for that to turn into a Mary Sue!

Evie

Well, since different people mean different things by that term, then if one simply means a story in which the author herself plays a starring role, then yes, it certainly is one.  If, however, one means a story in which the author creates an overly idealized version of herself (or creates her "dream character") who is astonishingly beautiful; speaks ten different languages; plays rock guitar, flute, and nose harp while plucking a dulcimer with her toes; can instantaneously learn magic spells and teach them as the head instructor at Saint Camber's Schola even though she just learned she was Deryni (and a Healer, no less) last Thursday, and has every hero in the series desperately in love with her, then no.  LOL! By that definition, I think I'm turning out to be more of an anti-MarySue in this story.  ;D

Oh, btw, Elkhound, you're actually responsible for putting the story idea in my head. Some time back, I think you said something in a comment about having seen stories (or maybe just Jerusha's story?) in which a Deryni came to our time, but wondering about what would happen if someone from our time ended up in the Eleven Kingdoms of our characters ' time.  And my mind just grabbed that ball and ran with it. :)

--WARNING!!!--

drakensis

Quote from: Evie on January 08, 2015, 05:25:41 PMI'm still laughing about "drakensis" getting autocorrected to "darkness" in Aerlys' last post.  That's my new name for you from now on, "Darkness," at least if your next story has the same high death count as your last two!   ;D
I see I'm going to have to live this down somehow.

I'm something of a fan of alternate history and I've got a couple of volumes of 'What If' scenarios (although alternatehistory.com provides quite amicably in easier reading and much more variety). It's left me with that question firmly embedded in my psyche: what if...?

I do have ideas for another 'nothing as it should be' moment. It's not quite gelled yet, but probably from the perspective of Duncan. (Fear not Evie, I'm not planning to kill him). So maybe that's how this would work as a series. Not a single continuity but short stories illustrating various points the series could have taken a turn.

Elkhound

Laurna

QuoteNot a single continuity but short stories illustrating various points the series could have taken a turn.

Drakensis, I think you are on to something here. Short stories of what if could send our minds into the twilight zone without actually rewriting all the future consequences.  It sounds compelling to leave the consequences to the imagination thereby not completely destroying our favorite cannon while at the same time provoking things aren't what the should be feeling.   I'm intrigued, write on. Although, please don't mind if I tell you, I will shy away from wholesale mass murder. If you could keep the death count down, then I am reading on.

Elkhound, I see nothing wrong with a little bit of MarySue. Face it, we ladies want romance in our lives. The written word can be very powerful. No one should ever be ashamed of expressing what you want and how you feel, so long as it stays within the decorum of our culture and our moralities.

So what would it be called if a man wrote himself in the story, a JohnBoy? Surely women aren't the only ones who do it.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Aerlys

Quote from: Laurna on January 10, 2015, 12:13:07 PM
So what would it be called if a man wrote himself in the story, a JohnBoy? Surely women aren't the only ones who do it.

Of course they do, Laurna, but most of it couldn't be posted on this forum.  ;D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc