• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 94
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 84
Total: 84
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 12:16:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gout for Christmas

Started by Elkhound, January 02, 2015, 02:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

As many of you know, I'm prone to gout.  One of my trigger foods is pork.  Another is asparagus. 

A friend from choir invited me for Christmas Dinner, which was nice of him.  But what did we have for dinner but. . . . HAM and ASPARAGUS.

OW!  OW!  OW!

I have never so much wished for a Deryni Healer.

Aerlys

A Scrooge-worthy gift, to be sure.  :(

My dad had gout, and it was awful. I will pray for a quick recovery so you can have a happy new year.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

Oh Dear! Sorry to hear that Elkhound. I truly hope is clears up fast.  I am concentrating on finding a 21st century healer, perhaps one will hear my thoughts and send healing in your direction. This cold weather can not be much help either. I hope Rupert will do some Purrrr Healing along with his Purrr Warming.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Quote from: Aerlys on January 02, 2015, 03:04:14 PM
A Scrooge-worthy gift, to be sure.  :(

My dad had gout, and it was awful. I will pray for a quick recovery so you can have a happy new year.

If my host had known, he wouldn't have had that particular menu, I'm sure, but as a good guest I couldn't turn up my nose at it, could I?  Oh, well. . . .

Elkhound

WOULD a Deryni healer be able to do anything about gout aside from soothing the symptoms?

Evie

Since it's caused by too much uric acid in the blood, which isn't really something that can be easily visualized, my guess is that they would only be able to treat the symptoms, perhaps using Deryni Healing power to reduce the inflammation while also prescribing dietary changes, elevation of the affected area, and prescriptions of medications to reduce pain and swelling.  The Healing powers might make the combined treatments work more effectively, but I don't know if they'd be able to discern and Heal the direct cause of the elevated levels of uric acid, especially if there is a genetic component to the disease.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!