collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: Happy (USA) Thanksgiving!  (Read 7152 times)

Offline Alkari

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
Re: Happy (USA) Thanksgiving!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 03:26:46 pm »
I am looking forward to trying out a couple of these recipes.  Alas, can't do the sweet potato casseroles here for Christmas Eve as both recipes have eggs, and one of the people coming to dinner is highly allergic to eggs.  (Yes, I could just tell him not to eat the sweet potatoes, but I'd prefer to do a dinner where he can eat everything!)

But next year I'm hoping to do a "Christmas in July" dinner party, and will certainly try one out.  Many of the traditional Christmas recipes are just not suitable for Christmas Day in mid-summer, and the very last thing you want to drink is mulled wine - bring out the bubbly and some chilled rose or riesling / semillon / pinot gris!   But because people still enjoy all the old favourites, many places are now featuring 'Christmas in July' celebrations, when you feel much more like overloading on heavy stodge in the middle of our winter  :)     I love pumpkin pie, so I may try that one before July.   As I have never even seen canned pumpkin out here (even in gourmet food shops, though I hardly think it counts as a gourmet food!) I can assure DR that my pumpkin will be freshly cooked.   I always try to roast the pumpkin when making pumpkin soup, because it gives such a lovely richer, sweeter flavour. 

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »
No, I doubt canned pumpkin counts as gourmet food, LOL.  I've made that pumpkin pie recipe with roasted pumpkin and with stewed pumpkin (doing which takes for-bloody-ever), and it really is much better with fresh pumpkin than with canned, but sometimes you just don't have time for cooking fresh pumpkin and/or can't get a hold of a fresh pumpkin to cook, so you have to settle for the canned stuff.

I hope you enjoy the recipes, Alkari.  You might be able to find some sort of vegan egg substitute in a health-foods shop, assuming that your allergic-to-eggs guest can have that, and try it that way.  Just a thought, if you really want to try one or both of the sweet potato casseroles.

But I totally agree with you about roasting the pumpkin.  It's a lot less time-consuming than stewing it, and it does give the pumpkin a lovely flavor.

Offline lenni

• Squire
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 08:21:21 pm »
Ladies (and any gentlemen cooks out there),

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a cook. I do the dishes.

I have heard that there are cooking pumpkins (for pie, for example) and pumpkins that are not for cooking. Is this true? If I went to the grocery store, how could I tell which was which? If I were to go to a lot that sells pumpkins (around Hallowe'en), would those be suitable for pies/eating?

Thanks.

Lenni/Kathleen

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »
When I made pumpkin pie out of stewed pumpkin, Lenni, I used a pumpkin I'd bought with the initial intent to carve it into a jack-o-lantern (never got around to carving it), so I would assume, yes, you can buy a pumpkin at a pumpkin patch and roast or stew it to make into pie or whatever.  That being said, there are probably smaller types of pumpkins that make better pie than the great big ones that are mainly bred to become jack-o-lanterns.

Offline revanne

• Donor
  • Earl/Countess
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 04:01:00 am »
After Christmas DH and I get to go away for a break from the Parish - I intend to try these recipes out on him then. We've got a little cottage down in Gloucestershire and there's a great farmers' market which I'm sure will sell pumpkins.

I will let you know how I get on.

Incidentally we still use a mixture of metric and imperial over here - glorious confusion. On one occasion we were buying carpet - woven in metric widths, bought by the yard and aid for by the square foot!
"All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts."
As You Like It.

Offline lenni

• Squire
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 06:52:17 pm »
DesertRose,

When I made pumpkin pie out of stewed pumpkin, Lenni, I used a pumpkin I'd bought with the initial intent to carve it into a jack-o-lantern (never got around to carving it), so I would assume, yes, you can buy a pumpkin at a pumpkin patch and roast or stew it to make into pie or whatever.  That being said, there are probably smaller types of pumpkins that make better pie than the great big ones that are mainly bred to become jack-o-lanterns.

Thanks so much! :-D

Kathleen

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 07:05:40 pm »
Thanks so much! :-D

Kathleen

You're very welcome.  :D

I cook a good bit and I enjoy it.  I learned essentially at my mother's knee (and to a lesser degree my grandmother's knee as well), and my mom is an awesome cook.  (So was my grandmother.  I'm still mourning the fact that I never found her bread/rolls recipe after she passed; it was a recipe you could use to make a loaf of bread or divide the dough and make dinner rolls, and it was so yummy, lightly sweet and buttery.  They didn't even need any sort of topping, although we fairly frequently put butter on them anyway.)  I think a lot of the reason my mom had me help in the kitchen from the time I was tall enough to see over the counter was that she was a single parent for a good bit of my childhood and killed two birds with one stone by having me help her cook; it kept me occupied and it did (sort of) help her (when I didn't do things like I did when I was about two and dumped a boatload of flour all over myself and the chair I had pushed over to the counter to get to the messy stuff--there's photographic evidence of that one, LOL).  But I learned that way that food doesn't just appear; someone has to cook it and clean up afterwards, and I think that was a valuable lesson.  I think she also wanted me to learn the math and science skills you get by cooking, which I did.

Now that I live alone, I don't cook every night; I tend to cook about three times a week and eat leftovers for a few days after I've cooked something.  (Then I get bored with it and I'll be nearly out of it anyway and decide to cook something new, LOL.)

Offline Aerlys

• Duke/Duchess
  • Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 03:26:50 pm »
Ladies (and any gentlemen cooks out there),

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a cook. I do the dishes.

I have heard that there are cooking pumpkins (for pie, for example) and pumpkins that are not for cooking. Is this true? If I went to the grocery store, how could I tell which was which? If I were to go to a lot that sells pumpkins (around Hallowe'en), would those be suitable for pies/eating?

Thanks.

Lenni/Kathleen

I have used both carving pumpkins and "sugar" pumpkins for pie, and have had success with both. Some are stringier than others, but a good run in a blender or food processor after coking seems to help. I actually prefer the taste of the carving pumpkin, but that's just me. There are many variety of pumpkin, and as far as I can tell, they are all edible..

After trying many different methods, I have  had the most success with steaming my pumpkin before mashing it. It cooks faster and has less excess moisture. After mashing, I usually let the pulp sit for a little while and drain off the water from the top, otherwise the pie tends to be too thin.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 12:40:30 pm »
I have posted the recipes in this thread to separate threads of their own in the Recipes section of the Off-Topic sub-forum, just to make them easier to find if anyone goes looking for them.  :)

Offline lenni

• Squire
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 06:34:11 pm »
Aerlys,

I have used both carving pumpkins and "sugar" pumpkins for pie, and have had success with both. Some are stringier than others, but a good run in a blender or food processor after coking seems to help. I actually prefer the taste of the carving pumpkin, but that's just me. There are many variety of pumpkin, and as far as I can tell, they are all edible..

Thanks!

Kathleen/Lenni

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 08:49:59 am »
And it's that time of year again!  Happy Thanksgiving!  :)

Offline revanne

• Donor
  • Earl/Countess
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:55 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the left of the pond as you look up towards the North Pole.
As You Like It.

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 10:38:42 am »
May everyone's Thanksgiving feast be perfect.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:48 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate and enjoy the holiday.

By the way, revanne, I don't have to look that far up to the North Pole from here.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline revanne

• Donor
  • Earl/Countess
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 01:05:19 pm »
You can tell how good my sense of direction is ;D
As You Like It.

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Pre Camber. by HealingWaters
[September 20, 2017, 05:23:02 pm]

Re: Venture in Vain by Evie
[September 18, 2017, 01:29:37 pm]

Re: Venture in Vain by Laurna
[September 18, 2017, 01:04:13 pm]

Re: Venture in Vain by revanne
[September 18, 2017, 01:00:30 pm]

Re: Pre Camber. by Kareina
[September 18, 2017, 12:13:43 pm]

* Who's Online