collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

To register as a member of RhemuthCastle.com please send an email to: rhemuthcastle @ deryni dot net
One of the Admins will contact you for registration information

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: Happy (USA) Thanksgiving!  (Read 7735 times)

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
Happy (USA) Thanksgiving!
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:45:06 pm »
I know our neighbors to the north already had Thanksgiving, but today was ours, so Happy Thanksgiving!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
Re: Happy (USA) Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:16:17 pm »
I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. For my part, I spent the day with family. Mom cooked a good turkey and my niece and nephew were as cute as ever. Those kids are growing up too fast.

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
  • Earl/Countess
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:28:10 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it!  I'm declaring mine a success. Especially proud of my cornbread and pecan stuffing, the cranberry-pear and ginger chutney, and the turkey repaid my loving care in the end. We did end up eating a little later than planned as the dark meat took it's time getting done.   ??? But it was delicious when we did sit down to eat.  Good gravy and mashed taters and my sister made a killer pumpkin bread pudding for dessert!  Deeply thankful to have a home where I have room to entertain my family properly, for my dishwasher, and a family that gets along with each other.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline revanne

• Donor
  • Earl/Countess
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 03:27:11 am »
Happy Thanksgiving
"All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts."
As You Like It.

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 06:01:39 am »
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:29 am »
Happy belated Thanksgiving, y'all! Ours was small but festive, with both of my children home for it. My kitchen barely has any counter space adequate for preparing a large meal, and my son apparently can't get his mind to wrap around the concept of a Thanksgiving meal anywhere but at Grandma's house (never mind that she decided to stay at her Florida home this year), so Hubby went to her house early to cook the turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry-orange jelly, while I made the green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, and corn souffle at our house. Once those were out of the oven and had a few minutes to cool, we loaded them in a box and brought them to Grandma's house, where the turkey was almost ready for carving and a pan of biscuits was getting ready to go into the oven. All of us ended up stuffed, and the leftovers were divided up so that my son now has enough leftovers to last him a few days at his apartment, while my daughter and I still have enough to combine for a post-Thanksgiving meal or two. It's the first time in a while that we've cooked Thanksgiving meal ourselves (in recent years either my mother-in-law was in town and cooked most of it, or we've spent it out of town with friends or other family), so that was fun.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 10:12:30 am »
We had a nice Thanksgiving too, although no turkey because my family are not huge turkey fans.  We had ham, green beans, baked sweet potatoes, this strawberry salad thing my mom decided to make as an experiment that turned out really yummy, and a truly ridiculous amount of dinner rolls.  (Seriously, we ended up with THIRTY dinner rolls, for a family of four: my parents, my daughter, and me.)  I told my mom that the next time she makes that dinner roll recipe, she should cut it in half.  My daughter told her no, she'd eat the excess dinner rolls.  :)  (They are very yummy rolls, and they were fairly easy if time consuming to make, but a lot of the time was waiting for milk to cool and then dough to rise, not active cooking time.)

We also had apple pie and pumpkin pie for desserts.

Bonus:  Nobody has to cook for a few days.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:13:30 am »
I confess, we had pancakes.  Something DH could cut with his fork while recuperating from his shoulder surgery. 

Turkey will be fixed for Christmas, although I'll likely have to carve it.  Everyone in the kitchen will be standing very far back.  Trust me.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 11:53:46 am »
Nothing wrong with pancakes.  Pancakes are yummy.  :)

And I totally hear you about carving.  I suck at it too.  :P

Offline revanne

• Donor
  • Earl/Countess
  • Favorite Book: King Javan's Year
  • Favorite Character: Father Joram MacRorie
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 11:58:05 am »
Being on this site makes me realise how much we miss out over the pond - and how weird we are. So, our November celebration is a failed attempt to blow up Parliament and King in - wait for it! - 1605!.

And we haven't had a revolution so can't celebrate that. (Lack of revolutions being mainly due to the fact that it rained and everyone went home!)

And it's so long since we had a coronation I bet no-one can remember how to do one.

And Harry doesn't show any sign of going to get married soon so no royal weddings on the horizon...

So to compensate me for this sad lack of national celebration how about some recipes please ladies... notably pumpkin pie, sweet potato casserole, corn soufflé and pumpkin bread pudding.  Yum...
"All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts."
As You Like It.

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »
Here is one version of sweet potato casserole that I just love.  Frequently you see it with miniature marshmallows melted on top, but I like this pecan streusel topping better.  I did my best to convert imperial measurements to metric, but I may have screwed up; I'm accustomed to thinking in imperial, sadly.  I wish I were better at metric.

Sweet Potato Casserole
(courtesy of Cooks Illustrated)

7 lbs (approximately 3.2 kg) sweet potatoes (6-8, of equal size)

Streusel Topping:
5 tbsp (74 mL) unsalted butter, cut into 5 pieces and softened
½ cup (118 mL) all purpose flour
½ cup (118 mL) packed dark brown sugar
¼ tsp (1.2 mL) salt
1 cup (237 mL) pecans

Filling:
5 tbsp (74 mL) unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp (10 mL) salt
½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground nutmeg
½ tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) vanilla extract
4 tsp (20 mL) fresh lemon juice
granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
1½ cups (355 mL) half-and-half

Adjust oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat oven to 400F/200C.  Poke the sweet potatoes and space evenly on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  Bake the potatoes, turning them once, until they are very tender and can be squeezed easily with tongs, 1 to 1½ hours.  Remove from oven and cut in half lengthwise to let steam escape; cool at least 10 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 375F/190C.
While the potatoes are baking, butter a 13x9 (this is in inches, 33 cm x 23 cm, approximate metric size) baking dish. Pulse the flour, brown sugar, and salt in a food processor until blended, about four one-second pulses.  Sprinkle the butter pieces over the flour mixture and pulse until a crumbly mass forms, 6-8 one-second pulses.  Transfer the streusel to a medium bowl.

Once the potatoes have cooled slightly, use a spoon to scoop the flesh into a large bowl.  Transfer about half the potato flesh to food processor.  Using a rubber spatula, break the remaining potato flesh into coarse 1-inch chunks.
Add the melted butter, salt, nutmeg, pepper, vanilla, and lemon juice to the potatoes in the food processor and process until smooth, about 20 seconds. Taste for sweetness, then add up to 4 tbsp (60 mL) granulated sugar, if necessary.  Add the egg yolks.  With the processor running, add the half-and-half through the feed tube and process until blended, about 20 seconds.  Transfer to the bowl with the potato pieces and stir gently until combined.
Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer with spatula.  Sprinkle with the streusel, breaking up any large pieces with your fingers.  Bake until the topping is well browned and the filling is slightly puffy around the edges, 40-45 minutes.  Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 12:41:05 pm »
And the pumpkin pie recipe I've used for long years.  The only problem with it is a custard-pie problem in general; the filling sometimes cracks.  But it still tastes yummy, especially with some whipped cream on top!

If you really want to get involved, you can roast fresh pumpkin in the oven and use that instead of canned pumpkin, but sometimes that's not an option.  It does make it better, though; the fresh pumpkin makes a difference.

Pumpkin Pie

1 (9 inch/23 cm) unbaked deep dish pie crust
3/4 cup (177 mL) white sugar
1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon (1.2 mL) ground cloves
2 eggs
1 (15 ounce/444 mL) can 100% pure pumpkin
1 (12 fluid ounce/355 mL) can evaporated milk

DIRECTIONS:
1.   Preheat oven to 425 degrees F/220 degrees C.
2.   Combine sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.
3.   Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. (Do not freeze as this will cause the crust to separate from the filling.)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »
Revanne, I'm afraid that my corn souffle recipe is a "cheater" sort that depends on Jiffy brand corn muffin mix as one of the essential ingredients, so that might not be the best one to give to you. It's not even properly a souffle, but that's just what our family calls it. It's more like a corn casserole or corn pudding (as I understand the UK sense of the word, not as in a creamy or custardy dessert).   But here is my Sweet Potato Casserole recipe.  It's actually from the Southern Living Cookbook rather than a traditional family recipe, but it's "traditional" for our family.

Sweet Potato Casserole

6 medium size sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine

Topping:
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
(And/or mini marshmallows)

Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender.  Let cool to touch; peel and mash.  (NOTE:  You can also cook them in a microwave or oven if preferred.  The important thing is that you need cooked and peeled sweet potatoes to make the casserole.)

Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and 1/2 cup butter; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.  (I just used a whisk and hand mixed it until not quite as smooth as a mixer could get it.  :D)  Spoon into a lightly greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish (or similar sized pan).

Combine brown sugar, pecans, flour, and 2 tbsp butter; sprinkle mixture over casserole.  (Personally, I've found this recipe does not yield enough pecan topping for me to cover the entire casserole as much as I'd like, and my daughter also is not fond of nuts, so what we do in our family is spread this sugared pecan mix over half the casserole and top the other half with miniature marshmallows.)

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.  (An online chart says that's 180C, or gas mark 4.)

Just noticed that the cookbook has this recipe for "Creamy Corn Pudding."  No idea if it tastes at all like the recipe I make, but it might be worth a try if you can get canned cream-style corn in your area or if you're willing to cut your corn from the cob to make cream-style corn from scratch. (My grandmother used to make it by using a knife to cut the top halves off all the kernels off several corn cobs, catching them along with any corn juices in a large bowl, then using the knife to scrape the bottom halves of the corn kernels off the cob into the same bowl until it was filled with lots of corn bits and creamy corn juice.  Then cook together with about 1/4 cup of water, 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup butter, adding in salt and pepper to taste and stirring in a little bit of cornstarch at the end to thicken it.  So if you make enough Southern-style creamed corn for your family and have a little over a cup of it left over, you could use those leftovers to make the corn pudding recipe below.)

3 tbsp butter or margarine
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1 (17 oz.) can cream-style corn or the equivalent fresh-cut and scraped kernels
3 eggs

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, sugar, and salt, stirring until smooth.  Cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. remove from heat, and stir in corn.

Beat eggs well. Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot mixture into beaten eggs, add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.

Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.  Bake at 350F (see equivalents in recipe above) for 1 hour.

Now I'm kind of curious to see how that will turn out myself, so if I make it, I'll let you know how it compares with the recipe I'm more used to.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline NavaWazr

• Squire
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »
We have a Thanksgiving Prequel with friends a few weeks ahead of the holiday. We had 15 total and I did a spatchcocked (designer foodie term for butterflied) turkey. It was fabulous and 16 pound took 2 hours, very moist, nothing dry. Sage stuffing w/pecans, dried cranberries, apples, onions etc. Mashed potatoes & gravy. Roasted cherry tomatoes. Store bought cranberry relish and cranberry jelly. Broccoli cheese casserole. Freshly baked ciabatta bread. Veggie gravy and turkey gravy (5 of 15 were vegetarians). Prosecco & Perrier in the back room for gratitude and blessings, then a buffet line through the kitchen. After dinner I threw them out of the kitchen for naps or a half hour walk outside while I cleaned up the kitchen. Pumpkin bundt cake and a no sugar apple pie to go with homemade ice cream. Leftovers for a couple of days, then they morphed into a turkey stuffing casserole with added peas, onions and celery and pecans and broth. Really yummy with a little cranberry.

A full day of decluttering and house cleaning this weekend, then I'll be ready for our holiday open house next weekend. Where did the year go?
I realized that I wanted to be Deryni, would have loved to be another niece of Uncle Azim, perhaps living on a Fianna vineyard.... but I'm a never wazzer

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
  • Earl/Countess
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »
Hey, I  think people should be able to have whatever they want for Thanksgiving dinner. Including ham or pancakes. Or ham AND pancakes. Or green eggs and ham, for that matter.  =o)Turkey may be traditional, but there's no law that says you HAVE to have it.  Whatever works for you.  :D  I'm eating my way through some very tasty leftovers, myself.

Just got something NEW to be thankful for--Amazon says my copy of The King's Deryni has shipped.  WOOOT!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Thoughts on In The King’s Service by Laurna
[Today at 12:12:22 am]

Re: Shingles are as painful as advertised by Shiral
[November 24, 2017, 03:39:44 pm]

Re: Shingles are as painful as advertised by revanne
[November 24, 2017, 05:03:26 am]

Re: Shingles are as painful as advertised by Laurna
[November 23, 2017, 09:50:04 pm]

Re: Shingles are as painful as advertised by DerynifanK
[November 23, 2017, 07:59:15 pm]

* Who's Online