• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 142
Total: 143

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Mount Desert Island

Started by r2005, November 23, 2014, 10:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r2005

I was reading through today's chat log, and I noticed the mention of Mount Desert Island. I'm from Maine, so it really caught my eye. I admit that I didn't really know the origin of the name either, so from the wiki page I found this.

QuoteFrench explorer Samuel de Champlain's observation that the summits of the island's mountains were free of vegetation as seen from the sea led him to call the island "île des Monts Déserts", or island of the Bare Mountains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Desert_Island
No matter how you're heart is grieving if you keep on believing the dream that you wish will come true

Laurna

Quoteîle des Monts Déserts", or island of the Bare Mountains.

That sounds so much better than Mount Desert Island.   Someone really messed up the translation. ;D
May your horses have wings and fly!

NavaWazr

I remember the wonderful popovers at the Jordan Pond place, and just wandering the old roads. It was late spring and beautiful.
I realized that I wanted to be Deryni, would have loved to be another niece of Uncle Azim, perhaps living on a Fianna vineyard.... but I'm a never wazzer