• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 06:24:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 254
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 237
Total: 237

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

I may have scared a few people

Started by revanne, November 23, 2014, 03:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

We're doing a Tree of Light this year for Advent in our Churchyard, where you donate for a light in memory of a loved one. DH wanted to check what the lights looked like on the tree now they're up so I went across in the dark and wandered round the Churchyard - it probably dates to Anglo-Saxon times (pre 1066) and there are lots of graves. The thing is I couldn't be bothered to go upstairs for a coat so just wrapped myself in my long black clerical cloak, using my mobile phone for light. Am now wondering if anyone saw a black shadowy figure lit by a ghostly green light flitting (well I'm too heavy to flit  :() among the graves ;D
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

LOL! Well, if you start hearing rumors of a churchyard haunting that you've never heard before, you'll know why!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

I love the image of ghostly lady in black gliding though the graves, and some one a bit distant doing a double take, "Did you see that!"
May your horses have wings and fly!

Aerlys

That's OK. It's good to spice things up a bit from time to time, especially since by now they've probably forgotten all about your green hair.

The high school (boarding school) I attended was once an old Jesuit boy's school, and ghostly sightings were often reported. One very reliable person saw a cassocked figure hurl itself from atop one of the buildings, only to disappear before hitting the ground. (This led me to write "The Ghost of Loyola Hall" during the utter boredom of a prolonged illness.)

A little harder to explain than flitting among the gravestones!

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

Alas I think the green hair is a memory which will go down in the annals here.

A friend of mine saw a monk come to sit in on our meditation in church one evening and someone fiddles around with the sound system (a question for Evie's littles - what would a twelfth century religious make of a soundsystem?).

Slightly more unnervingly footsteps wander up and down our landing at home (large Victorian Rectory) and one night came across the bedroom floor and stopped at DH's side of the bed. He carried on sleeping ( it would take the combined forces of NATO to wake him) - I crossed myself said a prayer and went back to sleep. Which seemed a perfectly reasonable response - the family however seemed to think that something more active was called for and I am now considered callous for leaving DH at the mercy of a ghost.
It hasn't come back - but then I consider DH snoring enough to frighten anyone ;D
Could you be persuaded, pretty please, to post "the ghost of Loyola Hall"
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

LOL! Your DH's sleep habits sound like my DH's, revanne!  :D

As for sound systems and Mini-Deryni, I think my littles are still getting used to modern musical tastes, but let me do a sound check using something they might find more familiar....

* Evie cranks up the volume on my Hildegard von Bingen channel in Pandora.

Me:  "Hey, Duncan, what do you think?"

Duncan:  "The music is lovely!  But where are they singing?  The acoustics are AMAZING!"  ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Sometimes, I look at the list of topics that other people are looking at, and i find topics I hadn't seen or I don't remember, so I read them again.
This topic struck me as fun. Revanne, I know you have moved from the old church, but I wonder if the people/ghosts from there miss you ;) .
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

The ghosts don't appear to have followed us but sadly my successor in my old church is struggling with the demands of the job and I know that the people miss me. I'm very happy in my new Parish and DH finds it easier to cope in a less demanding environment but I do feel a bit like Columcil does on realising he will not be returning to St Melangell's.
(Psalm 46 v1)