• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 373
Total: 373
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Origin / Inspiration for the Ward Cubes

Started by bombasticus, October 10, 2014, 10:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombasticus

Apologies if this has been asked but a search of the site didn't turn anything up.

Years after first reading the books I'm curious whether KK had a specific inspiration for the magic of the wards -- something cabbalistic or hermetic or Scholastic -- and am simply hoping anyone knows. Did she make them up from whole cloth, or was there a real-life historical influence in the background? Best regards,

DesertRose

In Deryni Magic, she sort of indicates that she more or less made them up, because she says she later found out that there is a real-world magical equivalent, using blessed blue and white candles rather than charged black and white cubes.

I don't have my copy readily to hand, so I can't give you a page number for reference, but it's under the Wards and Warding section, I'm sure.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Aerlys

Welcome to the boards, bombasticus. Love the name! Great question, too.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc