• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 12:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 238
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 228
Total: 229
drakensis
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Valdemar

Started by Elkhound, August 28, 2014, 10:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

On Another Thread, a crossover with Pern was suggested---Al'rk as a Bronze rider.  How about with Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar---Alaric on a white horse with blue eyes and silver hooves, anyone?

revanne

Sorry Elkhound but had a wonderful mental picture of Alaric with silver hooves! He does joke with Derry at one point about having cloven hooves but can't remember whether it's canon or fanfic.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Canon.  Someone remarks that he is rumored to have cloven hooves, and he jokes, "How do you know I don't?  You've never seen me barefoot."  Derry happens to walk in at that moment and says, "I have, and they are perfectly normal."  (Or something like that.  This is from memory.  I think it is in "The King's Justice."

Jerusha

It's actually in High Deryni, when Morgan and Duncan meet up with Kelson at his encampment after posing as common soldiers.

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Thanks for the clarification.

Laurna

This moment is one of my favorite images of Alaric.

QuoteInside, Morgan collapsed into a camp chair beside the campaign table and swung his boots up on the footstool with a grunt, letting his helmet slide to the ground beside him. Duncan, a bit more mindful of the social amenities, waited until Kelson had seated himself in a more upholstered chair opposite, than sank into another camp chair beside Morgan and laid his helmet at his feet.
"You look terrible," Kelson finally said, surveying them critically. "Both of you...."
There is a short bit of serious discussion when Alaric mentions what they learned during their two week reconnaissance.

QuoteHe folded his hands across his waist and sat back in his chair, smiling faintly. "Did you know, for example that I am rumored to have cloven hooves?" He stretched out his booted feet before him and glanced at them wistfully as the eyes of all present followed his gaze.
"Of course, few people have ever seen my feet without shoes of some sort-- especially peasants. Do you suppose it could be true?"
High Deryni-chapter two

I love Alaric's flare for easing his King's tension.

May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Thanks, Elkhound for this - it's your fault I have been lured away from Gwynedd to Valdemar. I've enjoyed the trip though. Much as I like Morgan I cannot imagine him as a Herald, Duncan of course and rather to my own surprise Denis Arilan. I agree that. I agree that Morgan would look amazing riding a Companion but I just can't see him dealing with the political manoeuvrings of the role.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

One might argue that his role as King's Champion in Gwynned is not unlike the King's/Queen's Own Herald in Valdemar.  Like Talia he was thrust into the role much too young.

revanne

OK - if he could be King's own
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

Now, how could we manage a Deryni/Valdemar crossover?  Perhaps some bungled spell in one world or another has a Gwyneddian Transfer Portal intersect with a Valdemaran Gate pulling characters from one world into another?