• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 03:32:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

I missed chat this last week because...

Started by Laurna, August 06, 2014, 04:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

I was here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lbc42/sets/72157646058510476/

I have been attending Costume College for 19 years. It's for creative people who love to sew costumes for nothing but the enjoyment of it. I thought perhaps some of you might like to see some of this year's creations. It's a weekend of taking classes on sewing and costume making. And then partying in costume on Friday and Saturday nights. (non of the pictures are of me, so I am not embarrass to show this off) :P I am always amazed at what my friends have made each year.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Wow! Some really talented people - lovely pics, thank you :)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Amazing costumes - I can only imagine the amount of work that went into all of the detail.  Wow!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Those look great! Costume College sounds like a fun event.  :D

We've just moved to a new office, and due to security reasons (medical records and counseling client files housed on our new server), I have no access to any websites during the work day unless they are work related.  Not even Google or its related sites.   :'(  I feel like an addict going through withdrawal! So hopefully I'll at least be able to keep up with everyone via checking the forum now and then on my smartphone, or if I'm not too tired to check it at night. I'll definitely make chats when I can, though!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

Oh dear!  No pictures of heads on sticks to provide inspiration for difficult meetings.  No views of Bishop Arilan in his Jayne hat over lunch to brighten a dismal afternoon.  You will not be the only one going into withdrawal!  :(
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

We took a vote, Evie. You need to quit your job, for all of our sakes.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

:'(
Do they not understand the vital work you are doing for international relations?
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

QuoteI have no access to any websites during the work day :'(  I feel like an addict going through withdrawal!

Oh no Evie! This won't do! Not only do you have to jog to the other side of the building to get your coffee, but no internet either?  The councelor will become the councelee. You need to find a remedy, and fast. We don't want Duncan to be lost in the new building or body-less Joram to not be made whole.  At my job, we have no internet either, so I  got an ultrabook for my lunch hours. Explain to your husband that it would be cheaper than going insane.

Now, I am going to be selfish here, but Please don't forget how I need you. With Costume College over for this year, my sewing projects have become less demanding. That other project (sending an image of many words lined up one after the other,) is desperately trying to behave itself while it waits for the one, calm, reassuring, wonderful, teaching editor who won't eat me alive or throw my commas on the ground and do a fire dance over them. Don't worry, I won't pull my hair out. I will remain calm. For I believe that good things come to those who wait.

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on August 07, 2014, 03:52:14 AM

Now, I am going to be selfish here, but don't forget how I need you. With Costume College over for this year, my sewing projects have become less demanding. That other project (sending an image of many words lined up one after the other,) is desperately trying to behave itself while it waits for the one, calm, reassuring, wonderful, teaching editor who won't eat me alive or throw my commas on the ground and do a fire dance over them. Don't worry, I won't pull my hair out. I will remain calm. For I believe that good things come to those who wait.

I have 5 chapters scrawled in my notebook (3 re Joram and 2 a bit of light relief on Brendan) only waiting for me to have time to type them up and wait for the comma and grammar magician to work her miracles. Your employers are condemning the forum to incoherent ramblings from an ingrammarate (ok I confess, I just made that word up :)) Brit.

Hopefully you've sussed by now how much we're going to miss your regular imput.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

Aw, Evie, the forum's going to be super quiet if you can't contribute from work anymore.  That sucks.  :(

My mom had a similar issue with her work computer (before she retired).  The powers-that-be actually wound up giving her special privileges because she had to look things up a lot as part of her job and she NEEDED Google in order to do her job.  She wound up being the Queen of Google at work; she got really good at coming up with the right search terms to find what she or other people wanted.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

First the good news--our exec director has had enough feedback about the impossibility of doing our jobs without access to the internet that he is trying to push for a less restrictive internet policy from our IT department.  So it is possible I'll be able to use the internet again in the foreseeable future.  On the other hand, though, one of the concessions we might have to make in order to get that no-websites policy relaxed is a blanket policy that we can only do web searches that are directly business-related. 

However, we have also been told that we can use personal tablets/laptops/ultrabooks at work for our websurfing needs, and as long as our regular work is being done, I don't think they are going to monitor that usage too closely or care.  (After all, patient confidentiality won't be affected, and if we accidentally end up getting hacked or getting a computer virus, it's our own personal property, not the university's.)  So there is that work-around.

And the second bit of good news is, I just got an ultrabook.  We had our state's tax free weekend for educational supplies, and my hubby (who has watched me internet-shop for a replacement for my old Asus Eee for several months now) conceded that there would probably not be a better time to find a good deal on a portable computer for me.  I wanted something extremely lightweight that could work as a tablet yet have an keyboard dock, and it had to run real Windows rather than Windows 8 RT in order to download full Windows programs rather than just Windows tablet apps (Scrivener doesn't come in a tablet app form), so there were very few options with those features and almost none in my price range.  However, I got lucky and found just the right combo at my local Walmart, so I'm typing this on my brand new Asus Transformer Book T100TA.  :)

Now the bad news...Despite bringing my ultrabook to work daily, I have far less time for internet stuff than I used to have, and don't see that changing in the immediate future.  Maybe in a month or two, but certainly not anytime in the next few days or weeks.  And in addition to that, Hubby's job may be offering me some freelance work in proofreading for them, and if that comes through, I will need to prioritize the paying job(s) over the non-paying (albeit more fun) beta-reading during my limited out-of-office hours.  But since what they need to have done should help me make back what I spent on the fancy new ultrabook, I can't complain too much about the contract work taking up my free time.

So I've not forgotten anyone's chapters on Google Drive, and I'm checking my personal email at least once a day.  But if my turn-around time isn't as prompt as it used to be, that's why. 

I'm really hoping we can return to business-as-almost-normal soon, but until I see how the workflow works out under the new system, I can't promise more daytime hours participation just yet.  In addition to throwing a location move at us, we are also learning how to use all new purchasing and Microsoft Office software (upgraded versions of what we had before), a completely different scheduling and case notes system, and the Fall Term is about to start in two weeks, which means our client load is about to at least double just as we're starting to figure things out and get back on our feet again.  Oh, and we recently lost one staff member and just got notice that we will lose another one in a few weeks, so we're short staffed.  Whee!

I have some half written fanfic that I am beginning to wonder if I'll ever get around to completing, but Scrivener really was one of the first programs I downloaded to this ultrabook, so here's hoping....    ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Quotethe second bit of good news is, I just got an ultrabook. 
Perfect, an ultrabook sounds like the perfect remedy. You have a good husband.

Sounds to me like the job's move is a step forward and more work will make the day go by faster. And that side job of real editing is fantastic. Your on your way to freelance editing when you decide to retire.  Heck, if you can survive editing my stuff you can edit anything. LOL