• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 368
Total: 369
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 05:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Names We Love

Started by Shiral, April 09, 2008, 05:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Bee

Quote from: Elkhound on July 05, 2009, 07:39:48 PM
Quote from: tenworld on July 05, 2009, 06:38:13 PM

that's neat. what is the origin of the name? I have always liked it maybe because a couple actors I enjoy have it in their name and I liked the character in the books (always wished KK would have written more his relationship with Camber's family)

It is a Welsh name; sometimes also spelled Reese.

Depending on which baby name website you use, it means either "enthusiasm" "ardent one," or "running."

the Bee

I knew a man named Rhys.  He pronounced it to rhyme with "peace," not "breeze."

AnnieUK

DD was nearly Briony (chickened out at the last minute, but she is Kathryn, so I figure that's ok!) and if she'd been a boy she was going to be Rory.  I actually love the Gaelic spelling Ruairidh, but no chance of getting that one spelled correctly!  I like the name Conall too - shame how he turned out.

Curlytop

Quote from: tenworld on July 05, 2009, 06:38:13 PM
that's neat. what is the origin of the name [Rhys]? I have always liked it maybe because a couple actors I enjoy have it in their name and I liked the character in the books (always wished KK would have written more his relationship with Camber's family)
When I have had to give directions over the phone, to customers wishing to visit our offices in Taff's Well (north-west of Cardiff) I have sometimes said that we are opposite Rhys Michael's depot. They have taken that at face value, and found us opposite Rhys Davies' depot without any problem.

Elkhound

Quote from: AnnieUK on June 07, 2010, 04:07:49 PM
DD was nearly Briony (chickened out at the last minute, but she is Kathryn, so I figure that's ok!) and if she'd been a boy she was going to be Rory.  I actually love the Gaelic spelling Ruairidh, but no chance of getting that one spelled correctly!  I like the name Conall too - shame how he turned out.

Rory is, I think, Irish; Rorie is Scots.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on December 26, 2014, 07:24:10 AM
Quote from: AnnieUK on June 07, 2010, 04:07:49 PM

Rory is, I think, Irish; Rorie is Scots.

Although she lives in England now, Annie is a Scot, IIRC, and her husband is from Northern Ireland, hence her interest in the Gaelic form of the name. (Rory or Rorie would just be more modern spelling variants of the original. )
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

And using the old spelling would avoid choosing one side or the other.

bronwynevaine

I didn't name any of my children after Deryni universe characters, but one matches and two are close. I have a Caitlin (Caitrin), Brendan, Austin (no match), and Jillian (Jilyan). My older children's dolls were named for KK characters: Bronwyn and Kelson.
I don't just march to the beat of a different drummer...I dance to a beat no one else can hear :)

Curlytop

The featured article on Wikipedia today (Sunday 3 May) concerns the "Javan slow loris" (Nycticebus javanicus), apparently a species of primate native to an Indonesian island, but really! Two KK names together?

Elkhound

Quote from: Curlytop on May 03, 2015, 04:14:34 PM
The featured article on Wikipedia today (Sunday 3 May) concerns the "Javan slow loris" (Nycticebus javanicus), apparently a species of primate native to an Indonesian island, but really! Two KK names together?

rotfl!

revanne

At least it's not Javan and Hubert together although I'm not sure that Javan and Loris are very much better.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Lochiel

I named my dog Camber, and my cat Ansel, and will continue with Deryni names, like "Arilan" for a cat if I decide to get another.
Always loved the names "Kelson" & "Javan" and in general love Gaelic names.  Evaine is nice. One not in the books, but which is Old English/Norman is "Leceline". So formally its that, and nickname is "Lee"
I am named after my Scots side but are more mundane, Douglas, & Scott
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore

Raksha the Demon

Quote from: Shiral on April 09, 2008, 05:39:27 PM
Over in the Chronicles of the Deryni Forum, there was a long discussion of awful names people would never inflict on a child of theirs. I thought it might be fun to compile a list of names, Deryni or otherwise, that we DO like.  ;)

I'll start:
Men's Names:
Alaric
Brion
Nigel
Jared
Kelric
Duncan
Donal

Women's Names:
Alyce
Richenda
Jehana
Sidana
Eirian
Nieve
Sofiana

Feel free to add and comment,
Melissa

I would be reluctant to name a child after any fictional character unless the name was already in general use, but there are some great names in KK's books, names that trip off the tongue or really fit the character or both:

Favorite Men's Names:

1.  Kelson
2.  Alaric
3.  Joram
4.  Camber
5.  Cathan
6.  Javan
7.  Lionel
8.  Brendan
9.  Marek
10.  Revan

Favorite Women's Names:

1.  Jehana
2. Silke
3.  Sidana
4.  Kyri
5.  Ariella
6.  Charissa
7.  Rothana
8.  Sudrey
9.  Stanisha
10.  Rhysel

Bynw

Be nice to the Deryni named children. There have been a number of them named after people and places in the 11 Kingdoms since the early 1970's.

http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/board,109.0.html
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Raksha the Demon

Quote from: Bynw on March 27, 2018, 05:07:22 PM
Be nice to the Deryni named children. There have been a number of them named after people and places in the 11 Kingdoms since the early 1970's.

http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/board,109.0.html

Sorry, I had no intention of disparaging parents' naming choices; I was just stating why I wasn't presenting the names I liked as names I would have given to children - my preference, not any kind of rule for others.