• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101
Google (3)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Names We Love

Started by Shiral, April 09, 2008, 05:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiral

Over in the Chronicles of the Deryni Forum, there was a long discussion of awful names people would never inflict on a child of theirs. I thought it might be fun to compile a list of names, Deryni or otherwise, that we DO like.  ;)

I'll start:
Men's Names:
Alaric
Brion
Nigel
Jared
Kelric
Duncan
Donal

Women's Names:
Alyce
Richenda
Jehana
Sidana
Eirian
Nieve
Sofiana

Feel free to add and comment,
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

morgan

Men:
Anthony (yeah, i prefer Morgan's 2nd name)
Brion
Sean
Denis

Women:
Charissa
Brownin (hhm, I guess I spelled it wrong)

derynifanatic64

Bronwyn (for a woman's name)
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

morgan

Ok, it seemed I wrote it wrong  ;)

lancingboy

I don't remember all the names, but I like the ones that are unusual, like Alaric and Kelson.

My sister makes up names like that for her fanfiction. She goes through word search puzzles and goes through each line until she sees a strange combination that would work as a great name. Xavkul, Nehbkha and Maecyl are only a few of the many that she's come up with.

Gyrfalcon64207

Nobody mentioned Evaine.  That's a nice name too.

DesertRose

I've been taking obscure names out of the Codex for naming my World of Warcraft characters, such as AriElinora.

I also like the name Rhys well enough that I'd consider naming a son of mine that, except that I doubt I'm going to have any more young'uns.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

BalanceTheEnergies

I'll admit I used "Alaric" as the first name of a sorcerer I played in D&D (3.x rules), and he too is blond (though he's got a couple of silver dragons in his family tree, which may also account for it). I should also note that when I was working on that character, I had the History Channel's miniseries on barbarian tribes going--I seem to recall mention of a Gothic chieftain/king by that name, so that might be what first brought it to mind.

I must say I also like the alliteration in the Torenthi royal family: Liam Lajos Lionel Lazlo, Ronal Rurik. Of course, "Alaric Anthony" also works well together.
Dubito ergo sum

Elkhound

This talk of names reminds me of a couple I know who just produced a set of twins, a boy and a girl.

They called the boy George Edward and the girl Victoria Elizabeth.

Anglophile, much?

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on May 21, 2009, 09:33:58 PM
This talk of names reminds me of a couple I know who just produced a set of twins, a boy and a girl.

Anglophile, much?

Beats names like Moon Unit or Apple.  At least George Edward and Victoria Elizabeth have some dignity.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on May 22, 2009, 06:17:08 PM
Quote from: Elkhound on May 21, 2009, 09:33:58 PM

Anglophile, much?

Beats names like Moon Unit or Apple.  At least George Edward and Victoria Elizabeth have some dignity.  :)

Oh, I agree.  However, being descended on both sides from Revolutionary soldiers (my mother and my grandmother resigned from the DAR over the Marian Anderson affair), I would point out that it has been over 200 years since we got rid of that nonsense.  If the British and the other Commonwealth Realms want to keep it, fine; there are positive things about a constitutional monarchy; but not for us.

Rhyselle

I named my youngest son (now 8 years old) Rhys Michael Crumb. :)  Not just to honor Katherine's writings, but also to tie back into my husband's genealogy in which we found a documented ancestor in the 15th century with the name Rhys.

Vorondave,
Rhyselle

tenworld

>I named my youngest son (now 8 years old) Rhys Michael Crumb. :)  Not just to honor Katherine's writings, but also to tie back into my husband's >genealogy in which we found a documented ancestor in the 15th century with the name Rhys.

that's neat. what is the origin of the name? I have always liked it maybe because a couple actors I enjoy have it in their name and I liked the character in the books (always wished KK would have written more his relationship with Camber's family)

Elkhound

Quote from: tenworld on July 05, 2009, 06:38:13 PM

that's neat. what is the origin of the name? I have always liked it maybe because a couple actors I enjoy have it in their name and I liked the character in the books (always wished KK would have written more his relationship with Camber's family)

It is a Welsh name; sometimes also spelled Reese.

Rhyselle

It's amazing, though, how there are so many ways to mis-pronounce it.  We pronounce it "Reesz", but I've had people call him "Rise" or "Rize".  It can be prone to typoitis too.  At church, the primary Sunday school attendence list has it Ryhs and someone else typed it Ruys.

He's specifically named for the Haldane prince more than the Healer, although I'm trying to rear him up not to make the same kind of mistakes that Prince Rhysem made before he realized just what the Regents were up to. *wry grin*