• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 376
Total: 378
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 09:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

deryni names

Started by derynifanatic64, May 08, 2014, 06:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derynifanatic64

There was a footballer who played for the Hungarian National team who died recently whose name was Imre Danka.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

DesertRose

Well, a lot of KK's names are taken from real languages, but I thought Imre was a Welsh name; I'm sort of surprised to see it on a Hungarian.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Shiral

Quote from: DesertRose on May 08, 2014, 06:59:49 PM
Well, a lot of KK's names are taken from real languages, but I thought Imre was a Welsh name; I'm sort of surprised to see it on a Hungarian.  :)

In the Codex, the Furstans and thus, their relatives the Festils, represent the Eastern European contingent of the Eleven Kingdoms roughly parallel to Hungary, Russia, Germany and Poland.  Thus, the Festils have names that correspond that that part of our own world.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DesertRose

That makes sense.  :)

And I've seen a variant of Imre, Imriel, as a Francophone name, so I guess I should have known better, LOL.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Shiral

Quote from: DesertRose on May 08, 2014, 10:18:15 PM
That makes sense.  :)

And I've seen a variant of Imre, Imriel, as a Francophone name, so I guess I should have known better, LOL.

Not much has been written about Bremagne in Fanfic, so there COULD be an Imriel from Bremagne...

DesertRose

LOL, yes, I suppose so, although I expect it's considered an undesirable name in Gwynedd due to association with Imre of Festil, just as I don't see Gwyneddan parents naming a daughter Ariella or Charissa, as pretty as those names are.  :D

Shiral

I've always thought Annalind was a pretty name. But since Annalind herself was  a Mearan rebel, I guess that wouldn't fly too well in Gwynedd, either.  But maybe in another generation or two of peace between Gwynedd and Meara, maybe the name will come to have a more positive association. 

Melissa

Elkhound

Quote from: Shiral on May 09, 2014, 06:28:35 PM
I've always thought Annalind was a pretty name. But since Annalind herself was  a Mearan rebel, I guess that wouldn't fly too well in Gwynedd, either.  But maybe in another generation or two of peace between Gwynedd and Meara, maybe the name will come to have a more positive association. 

Melissa

On the TV show "Grimm" Annalind is the name of a fairly nasty villainess.