• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Mini-Deryni photo art

Started by Evie, April 13, 2014, 05:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlys

Well, at least it could double as a shield. ;D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

;D A shield for his heart ;D
And that would be on heck of a large ruby. Rival the crown jewels. Kelson will be jealous.
What it needs is a chain to hang off his shoulders instead of the back of his neck. Then it will look perfect.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Well, it might be a garnet rather than a ruby.  And perhaps it is gold leaf over wood or ceramic.

Evie

I thought a Celtic style cross would be apt, and that was the only Celtic cross pendant I had on hand, though I can keep a lookout for others.  It would be the 1:6 equivalent of 4" to 4.5" around, which puts it in the same size range as some other (real life) pectoral crosses I've seen online, only since those are usually regular crosses rather than round ones, the elongation keeps them from looking as large, proportionally speaking.  The central stone is approx. .5 cm across, so multiplied to real life scale, that would be 3 cm....yeah, I think it's likely that it's a garnet and not a ruby, or Kelson would have good reason to be envious!  Then again, it would actually belong to the Church of Gwynedd, not to Duncan personally, so maybe it's meant to be trotted out on those "dress to impress" high holy days....   ;D

That pendant is actually the twin to the one Mini-Duncan wore with his vestments on his very first Easter, though it probably seems smaller in those photos because of the other regalia he's wearing.

Mitre and crosier by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And it's even smaller than the pendant he's wearing in this photo, at least lengthwise:

Christus resurrexit! by evian_delacourt, on Flickr
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Evie

I had a chance to (mostly) finish Duncan's capelet today.  It still needs pressing to make it lie right, and it needs a closure at the neck opening, but it's more or less done.

New capelet by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And since I've belatedly realized I am posting these updates in the Photo Art thread rather than the Action Figure thread, here's some photo art of Duncan wearing his new clothes:

Duncan portrait by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Noir Duncan by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

Very nice, Evie; I also like the tapestry pillow in the background.   :)  You could almost imagine that Duncan has made a stop at the local inn for a goblet of ale.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

More doll art. I wanted to see how the filtering would work in a forced perspective shot that combined dolls with actual costumed humans in the background.

Dancing Dolls by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Hi Evie,
I hope you do not mind if I side step the compromising issue of Duncan's and Helena's apparent "closeness" :o , and tell you that I do like the art work of them together. I will imagine it is cousin Alaric and Richenda instead. Is there any way you can layer them out from the background real people, rework the back ground image so we can see the people with greater detail and then combine the fore ground and back ground images back together? It would be nice to see the back ground people too.

Evie

Actually, when I took that particular picture (and the other dance photos I took that same evening), I was more focused (pardon the pun) on the duo as just a pair of dancers rather than specifically Duncan and Helena, but those just happened to be the figures I had with me at that event. I was watching the dancing when it occurred to me that I could pose them in a dancing position on the table, and with them in the foreground and the real dancers in the background, I might be able to get them to look like they were all the same scale if I got the camera angle and focus just right. It was more an experiment in making forced perspective work rather than anything else, though I figure in the absence of any other 1:6 gentlemen present to walk out onto a dance floor with a 1:6 lady, Duncan might be willing to oblige. :)

Even without the filter effect, the background people wouldn't be that much in focus, because the camera would only focus on either the foreground or the background characters.  So in some of the pictures I took, Duncan and Helena are out of focus but the people dancing are in sharp focus, and in others (including the original for this one) Duncan and Helena are in focus with the background dancers blurred. The added filter effect actually helps to make the contrasting focus slightly less obvious rather than more so.

Here's the original of that photo:

Enjoying the dancing by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

(They were posed for the opening of a particular dance, if I remember correctly, only by the time I got them propped up and got the camera set up for the shot, the dance had changed to something else.  :(  It would have been great if the dancers behind them were all in the same pose!)

And another photo with the focus on the background rather than the foreground:

Dancing through the night by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

I didn't have a doll stand with me, and I think Helena didn't have flat-bottomed feet yet when I took these, so as I recall, Duncan was propped against a tankard for stability, and he was quite literally holding up Helena so I would have both hands free to take the photos. They face-planted several times before I managed to get them stable enough for the dance shots.  So if he appears to be holding her a bit too closely, that's why.  The alternative would have been having Helena stagger around the table before falling over like a cheap drunk, and while that might have made for entertaining videos, the photos wouldn't have been quite was I was aiming for.  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Quoteso as I recall, Duncan was propped against a tankard for stability,
lol Oh that is cute! I will not say that I have not witnessed a friend using his own tankard to hold himself upright with, but my experience is that tankards quite often cause the opposite effect. Falling down. Or perhaps the contents of the Tankard is the culprit rather than the tankard itself.  (Youth and Renaissance faires, need I say more.)

It is a good picture of Duncan and Helena and I do like the filter you used.  It is too bad the focus of the camera did not get the background dancers a little better. I still think you can cut them out of the one photo and add in the sharper back ground of say the second photo you took and see what that looks like.  My arc-soft photo studio program has what is called a "magic wand" (that is the tool to selects similar parts of the photo such as the fore-people) and then cut and paste them onto a separate layer. You could overlay the sharp image of  your characters onto the sharp image of your background people and then use your artwork filter and see it that comes out.

A friend recently got a go pro camera, which I have learned does not have a focus zone. Every part of the picture is in focus no matter how far away it is. I was considering getting one just because of that feature.

Evie

I'll see if I can figure out how to merge the foreground figures from one photo with the background figures of the other next time I have a chance to play with Gimp, but my rudimentary knowledge of the software is still pretty much what little bits I've picked up from trial and error experimentation, so no promises as to the quality of the output.

I actually prefer having the focus of foreground and background be different, since even though we're generally not conscious of it, that's more like how human vision actually works.  Just looking around my living room right now, for instance, if I focus on the plastic cup that is four feet away from me, the TV screen four more feet beyond that (and more in the periphery of my vision) is not in focus, even though things around my focal point (the plastic cup) appear sharp and clear.  On the other hand, if I focus on the TV screen, the images on it are nice and clear, but now the cup on the table between me and the TV screen is out of focus.  A camera that shows both foreground and background in equally clear focus may create pleasing photographs, but at the same time they are a less realistic depiction of how our eyes actually see things.  Both sorts of images have their uses, but for the forced perspective images, I like the differences of focus.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

I'll just keep posting the cassock related stuff in this thread since I accidentally started off doing so.  I was able to work on the cummerbund style cincture at lunch today.  Couldn't find purple fringe anywhere, but have seen several examples online of bishop cinctures with gold fringe, so I went with that option since I already had some in my stash.

Bishop Duncan relaxing by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

The capelet is too long to show off the cummerbund part of the cincture to good advantage, but I'll try to take a picture of him without the cape soon.  I still need to add a folded-down hood to the capelet to give him the "collared" look that KK requested.

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

It's probably just the glare from the camera flash, but that "non-cannonical" light on the end table looks like it is working and providing the light for Bishop Duncan to read his book.  Nice effect!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

That non-canonical light is working and providing accent lighting for the scene.  It is a book light that I found at Dollar Tree.  (It comes off the base for clipping onto a paperback book cover.) I'm actually using my phone camera on the "low light" setting for that photo, which means flash was turned off and the camera simulates a slow shutter speed to get the necessary exposure.

--WARNING!!!--

Evie

Here's the book light shining even brighter when I took a photo earlier this morning:

Quiet moment by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

--WARNING!!!--