• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 114
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 05:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Happy St Pats

Started by tenworld, March 17, 2014, 12:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenworld

since alternate ireland is connected to the main land, how did alt St Pat get rid of the snakes?  Was he Deryni, and using a shamrock as a focus, spelled them away?

Evie

He may have just driven them all westward into the Atalantic Ocean then warded the eastern borders to keep more from slithering in, if you're equating Meara or the Connait with Ireland.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

The snakes hightailed it out of Ireland with these terrible words of St. Patrick ringing in their ears:
"Hmm. Tastes kind of like chicken."   ;D
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Quote from: Aerlys on March 17, 2014, 02:18:04 PM
The snakes hightailed it out of Ireland with these terrible words of St. Patrick ringing in their ears:
"Hmm. Tastes kind of like chicken."   ;D

LOL!  Actually, my mother tried rattlesnake once, and when I asked her what it tasted like, she told me it was like a combination of chicken and fish.  I was pretty amazed she tried it at all, since she's extremely snake phobic, but apparently her phobia doesn't apply to dead, cooked snakes.   :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

A little St. Patrick's Day treat to go with that pint of Guiness stout -- or Murphy's, or Smithwicks, or Beamish... Whatever you prefer.  :):

And this shouldn't taste at all like chicken.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

Does Irish whiskey go with cake?  :) 

I have a bottle of John Powers in my kitchen, but I'm not a beer drinker.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Aerlys

Quote from: DesertRose on March 17, 2014, 07:33:12 PM

Sure, so long as you share!  :D

I only started liking beer when I discovered the really dark, rich stuff instead of that dirty dishwater in a can. I love Russian imperial stout, but it's not so traditional for St.Paddy's.

And IPA's are bottled skunk juice, IMHO.

Hilaire Belloc

DesertRose

I don't even like the dark, rich beer.  It still tastes too beer-y to me.  The only "beer" I've found I like is a Belgian one that has raspberries in it and it tastes more of raspberry than beer.

And of course, I'll share the Powers.  Only fair, on St. Patrick's Day.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

tenworld

Quote from: DesertRose on March 17, 2014, 07:33:12 PM

in an area where 'regular' coffee means milk and sugar I always reply to 'what do you want in your coffee?'with 'Jamesons'.
so yes irish whiskey goes with a lot of things

Shiral

I kept St.  Patrick's day simple--I wore a pair of green earrings, and baked a loaf of Irish Soda Bread. Irish soda bread and a cup of tea--I'll take it over any kind of beer any day of the week. =o) I have NEVER cared for beer.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Aerlys

Irish soda bread and a cup of tea is one of my favorite repasts. I have my great grandmother's recipe, brought with her from Ireland, though I haven't had time to make it lately.

Don't misunderstand me. I rarely drink beer, especially during Lent, but when I do, I'd rather not waste time on the light stuff. Then again, maybe choking down the light stuff would be a good Lenten penance...

Father:  "So,what did you give up for lent?"
Me:  "I gave up not drinking Budweiser."

Somehow, I doubt that would go over too well...

Hilaire Belloc

Shiral

Oh, I think anyone who enjoys beer should go ahead and find which kinds they like and then drink it.:) I've just never had a taste for it myself. Or for wine, either. Always been a tea drinker. Although I also developed a taste for coffee while I was in college. Now I can't get started without my cup in the morning. But I drink tea all day.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DesertRose

I'm with you, Shiral.  No beer for me.

And actually, for medical reasons (nothing serious), I'm not supposed to be drinking any alcohol, so I didn't actually drink any of my John Powers, even though it was St. Patrick's Day.

Aerlys

Don't get me started on coffee! I live in Latte Land, where you can't go anywhere without tripping over a coffee shop. I like my morning joe dark and rich, too, though I try not to be a coffee snob.

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

Don't talk about coffee - especially not rich dark black stuff. Have given it up for Lent and (whisper it quietly for a Brit) tea doesn't quite make it. No alcohol either so I can't even take refuge in the other rich dark black drink. Though I have discovered an amazing 3 cinnamon tea... think Duncan might let me get away with that?
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)