• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,559
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329
Google
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 08:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So psyched!

Started by Aerlys, March 01, 2014, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlys

In case anyone is curious what goes on during competition, here's some videos of our matches. We are team number 2927 (the bot with all the lights and the claws). During each match, teams are allied with two other teams on a rotating basis. This is why you will see different robots each time. The vids are just a small glimpse of the many, many different designs that were created.

What you don't see in these videos is the size of the audience! Imagine being at a sporting event where not two, but six teams are competing. This is what happens at every match. However, there were a total of about 35 (?) teams at the event, most of which had anywhere from 6 (us) to 80+ team members. That's not counting adult mentors and families. These competitions are way more fun and energized than any regular sporting event I've been to, IMHO. And, if there's a time out, the music is cranked and everyone begins to dance.   :D  (They let everyone dance on the playing field at the meet in February.)

The first 30 seconds (not always shown in the videos) is the autonomous portion, where the robot runs strictly on programming. The rest of the match each bot has two remote human drivers/controllers. Extra points are earned for each time the ball is "passed" to another bot before going in one of the goals. This is why this year's game is called "Ultimate Assist." Points are also earned for hitting the ball over the center truss. It's kinda complicated, and hard to keep track of sometimes, but that's the general idea 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMrF_2cpbD8

(Best video with lots of action with our bot.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWkZNMNwxiY

(Good shot of our bot at the end)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjNCiD1QUZw

(Not bad, good shots of us grabbing the ball)

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Laurna

Now, that is fun.  I had no idea what type of robots you were talking about. I was imagining something very different.  Love all the types of inventive claws and grabbers that the robots use. Congrats to your team.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

Oh, that looks like fun!  I keep hearing this voice in my head insisting "Number Five is Alive!" though....   ;)   ;D  (Points if you catch that reference.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

Great, now I have that El Debarge song stuck in my head!  ;D

Neeeed inpuuuut....
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

Quote from: Evie on April 01, 2014, 09:09:20 AM
Oh, that looks like fun!  I keep hearing this voice in my head insisting "Number Five is Alive!" though....   ;)   ;D  (Points if you catch that reference.)

"Short Circuit" - that came out the same year DS3 was born.  Hmmmm....
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

I was in high school.  I think I liked the sequel better, actually.

"Who's Johnny? " she said
And smiled in her special way
"Johnny" she said
"You know I love you"...

(Gahhh, it's still stuck in my head, with images of big hair and jackets with over-sized shoulder pads... ::))

Hilaire Belloc