• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 263
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 214
Total: 215
DoctorM
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 12:55:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So psyched!

Started by Aerlys, March 01, 2014, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlys

Just wanted to share a "proud mom" moment. DS1 has been involved with FIRST Robotics for the last five years. Many of the team members have been together this whole time, and, for most, this is their final year.

In early January, teams from around the world attend the annual FIRST Robotics Competition "kick-off," where the year's game is revealed (it changes every year). They are given six weeks to design, build, and program their robots to perform specific challenges, according to strict specifications.

To quote the website:

"The varsity Sport for the MindTM, FRC combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams... are challenged to raise funds, design a team 'brand,' hone teamwork skills, and build and program robots to perform prescribed tasks against a field of competitors.  It's as close to 'real-world engineering' as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team."

This IS NOT a "battle bots" competition!

Today for the first time, our team, Pi Rho Techs, made it as far as the second round of semi-finals, nearly advancing to the regional competition. This is a huge accomplishment! There is one more competition next month, that will give them one last shot at going to the regional. Even if they don't make it, they have still created an amazing robot, that looks cleaner and performs better than anything they have built so far.  As soon as I can, I will try to upload some pictures. What these kids can put together in six weeks is astounding.

It has been wonderful watching these flailing rookies transform into strong, talented, and professional young men and women. They have grown and learned so much over the last five years, and should be very proud of their accomplishments. These will be our future science and technology leaders.

I encourage everyone to check out FIRST's website,http://www.usfirst.org to see what this organization is all about, and learn about their mission to "... inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership." 

If you can, find a local team and become a mentor or a sponsor. It will be time well-spent.

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

AnnieUK

Congrats to your DS. It's great when they find something to inspire them like that. :)

Laurna

That looks like fun! I will have to show this to my niece, she loves computer programming. Good luck next month.
May your horses have wings and fly!

tenworld

my daughter was in that once, its a great experience.  Even got to meet  Dean kamen, He called it America First once but then realized it was a better to be international.  Robots have made a bigger impact than many people realize (you cell phone and computer eg) as well as changing surgery, but FR is about being creative as much as anything

Aerlys

We met Dean Kamen once, too. For those who aren't familiar with him, one of the (lesser) things he's done is invent the Segway.

Last year during competition there were demonstrations of the da Vinci surgical robot. We were able to try out the demo bot, where one uses the hand controls to remotely hook teensy weensy rubber bands on little rubbery protrusions that I assume are supposed to represent our innards. Only the robotic "hands" actually touch the rubber bands, but the remote hand controls feel amazingly realistic, right down to feeling the resistance of the rubber or when the robotic hand touches the protrusions.

I've also read that someone is developing the ability to do remote surgery using the same technology as the Kinect, so that, theoretically, a surgeon could operate on a patient on the other side of the country. 

Interesting times we live in.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

FIRST Canada robotics just announced that for the first time, the Ontario regionals will be hosted in northern Ontario - in my town of North Bay!  This is a first for FIRST (yes, the pun is intended) as all previous regionals have been hosted in southern Ontario.  We've got a great group up here, and are looking forward to hosting this amazing event.

Although I am not personally involved, I know several of the mentors and they are awesome!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Aerlys

This year, at least in the U.S., FIRST changed the FRC (high school level) competitions from one very large event to several smaller ones, with winners from those advancing to the regional. I think part of this change was for financial reasons. I have found that I actually like the smaller venue better. Not only was it closer to home, but it maintained the same energy and excitement without such an overwhelming number of teams present.  I do wonder what some of the international teams (for example, there is one from Turkey) that come to Seattle to compete will do, though, if they advance to the larger regional. Not an inexpensive endeavor, to be sure.

I hope you get to go to the regional competition, Jerusha. Admission is free, and you'll be impressed by what these kids accomplish. Overall, much more exciting than an athletic event, IMHO.

Hilaire Belloc

Aerlys

Tonight begins the next round of competitions. If DS's team makes it to the top eight or wins another award, they will move on to the next level...if they can come up with the $4000 entry fee, that is. But one hurdle at a time. Wish them luck!

Hilaire Belloc

Aerlys

THEY ARE RANKED THIRD!!!

One more day left. We'll see (and pray) that they hold onto their ranking. Earlier today they were at first place. This is out of about 36 teams. This is the best they have ever done.

So psyched...so psyched...so psyched  ;D

Hilaire Belloc

Aerlys

At the end of the qualification rounds, they finished with a ranking of third, after bouncing up and down between that and first.

They did not make it through the semifinals, but because of their overall district rating, will be heading to Portland...if they can raise $4000.*

This is still huge for them. (Previous years they ranged around 30th, at best) They outranked most of the best-known teams. And, ALL of the top teams, except for ours, consist of a minimum of thirty students and have huge budgets. Most had well over fifty to a hundred. Our team has nine members and about three mentors. They didn't get any judges' awards, but, for m
any of them, there need to be team members for them to talk to. Since only six of the team were able to show, they were all pretty much occupied with the bot. In my book, they should receive a "Small But Mighty" award.

* any private and corporate sponsorships will be gladly accepted ;D

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

That is awesome, Aerlys.  They have every right to be proud of what they have accomplished.  Well done!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

(I couldn't find a Small but Mighty Award, so they'll have to settle for Mighty Mouse.   ;D )
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

LOL! I'll show that to DS when he gets home. Thanks!

Hilaire Belloc

AnnieUK

Sounds like they should all be very proud of themselves. Well done!