• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133
Google
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Passing

Started by Elec P. Carpenter, February 09, 2014, 06:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elec P. Carpenter

Almost novella length. Easier to read it from Google+ so here is the link- Enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LcbujjTruzrVa5b5afYQBdsQGLuf74ZcpaPC19g8qTw/pub
"The fact that when you drink you can hold your liquor is no excuse for drinking all the liquor you can hold."

A Dad's advice to his Son.

Evie

Welcome!  Glad you found us, and I'm looking forward to checking out your story when time permits.   :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elec P. Carpenter

Get a big coffee- It's long. I never cut it into chapters- It just flowed out.
"The fact that when you drink you can hold your liquor is no excuse for drinking all the liquor you can hold."

DesertRose

Elec, you've jumped in the deep water.  :)

Welcome aboard!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Yea! A new fanfic!  *does happy dance*  I'm looking forward to reading it!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

gorynel

Elec-fantastic, and thoroughly enjoyable read!  Can't wait to see more  :)

Evie

I had a chance to read just the opening scenes last night, but I'm quite looking forward to reading the rest as soon as I can get more free time...perhaps at lunch today.  Nice to see a post-KKB generation story!

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

I liked it very much; it left me thinking, "But I want to know what happens next!"  Which is the mark of a good writer.

Aerlys

Wow, thanks for the new fanfic! You sure jumped right into the fray. It has been rather quiet in the fanfic section lately.

I'm looking forward to reading it as soon as time allows.

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

What a wonderful story, Elec!  I wasn't sure where the story would lead, but I'm so glad I followed the journey!

More, please!   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

derynifanatic64

Excellent story and welcome!!
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Evie

I finally had a chance to finish your story.  And now my family's dinner is late because I. Could. Not. Put. It. Down!  :)
Very well done!  I look forward to reading more of your work.

--WARNING!!!--

Elec P. Carpenter

Thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement. As you can tell, I find the Michaelines to be a fascinating subject. I am, among other things, a student of history, with a real interest in the knightly orders of the medieval church, the crusades and the years after the suppression of the Templars. This gave me a chance to craft a tale containing some of the elements you find when you look at the Templars and the Hospitallers and what they were up to in their heyday.

Plus, I always wondered what was to become of Albin, so much so that I decided to write his story. Hopefully I haven't touched on a taboo subject or intruded on anything KK was going to explore later.

I haven't written the last on Albin. As a young Anviller knight, in my history, he found himself in Constantinople at a time of instability and potential upheaval, when the Byzantine ruling dynasty was having a hard time keeping a lid on the Deryni aristocracy in the golden city. The legal system, founded on Deryni Judges who sat in tribunals and Truth Read petitioners and defendants to get to the bottom of things was in disarray. The Deryni of the city were polarized into two camps and between the two of them they controlled the courts through intimidation, affiliation, bribery and assassination. The Emperor, at his wits end and having no one he could rely on who could withstand magical and physical attacks that could be objective and fair, made an unprecedented move- He appointed a Knight of the Anvil as a Judge- Albin.

The story of his triumphs and travails (and the string of dead assassins he left in back alleys across the city!) is the story I am working on next.

Jerusha

Sounds fascinating, Elec.  I am looking forward to it!  :)

-- Old English Litany

Evie

I am quite looking forward to seeing more of Albin and how he deals with (quite literal) Byzantine politics.  And as far as I know,  none of KK's characters (especially the secondary ones) are off limits, as long as the stories adhere to the board guidelines.  You know,  just treat her characters respectfully and (so far as is already known) in character.  No romping around Carthmoor wearing nothing but a crimson spandex g- string and a smile for young Albin.   ;)

--WARNING!!!--