• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,568
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 24, 2024, 07:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snowpocalypse 2014

Started by Evie, January 29, 2014, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

Oh My! Annie. That's a lot of water. Poor Somerset.  I hope your rain stops and lets the countryside dry out. 
Now, if they could just transport some of that to us in Southern California. We did get a light drizzle yesterday and we could really use more.

May your horses have wings and fly!

AnnieUK

Yup. On the waves video, the last shot is of Dawlish. There, the main railway line between Devon and Cornwall has been completely swept away. The sea wall broke, and the whole understructure of the railway was swept away first. It was kind of left dangling, like a theme park ride. And then the force of the waves collapsed it.

It's not been as bad where I am, thankfully, although it does feel like it has rained solidly for about 6 weeks now. It's a bit like living in Blade Runner.  :o

DesertRose

California in general, from what I'm hearing, Laurna, could use the rain that the UK is getting in such ridiculous amounts.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

It seems there is more rain where we don't need it, and not enough where we do. 

Awesome pictures, Annie.  For once, I won't complain about our snow. 

Though the snow banks are high enough, DH comes out in the mornings to signal when it's safe to back my car out into the street.   :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

AnnieUK

45ft waves expected in the south-west overnight tonight. It's taking a real hammering down there. :(

I can't even imagine what a wave 45ft high might be like, and have no inclination to find out.

AnnieUK

revanne

All train links to the south-west of England are now cut - the train line on Annie's picture in Somerset is  completely under water, plus a landslip on the one otherwise unaffected line. We're fairly ok up north but it is getting a bit scary with endless gales and rain. It's apparently the wettest January for 250 years - that takes us back to King George!!
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Just thinking if some of you kind folk over your side could trap the low pressure systems before they head out into the Atlantic ...(Shiral nets perhaps).
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

I'd give it a try,  but finding shiral crystals in sufficient quantities for that sort of weather working might prove to be a problem.   ;)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

revanne

So now we have winds gusting over 100 miles per hour to add to the coastal storm surges and our major rivers competing to see which ones can turn into lakes first.

Perhaps winning medals in rowing at the Olympics was a bad omen...
(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on February 12, 2014, 03:10:54 PM
So now we have winds gusting over 100 miles per hour to add to the coastal storm surges and our major rivers competing to see which ones can turn into lakes first.

Perhaps winning medals in rowing at the Olympics was a bad omen...

LOL!   ;D

100 mph winds, though?  Wow!  That's like hurricane strength winds here,  or nearly so at least (I forget the dividing line between tropical storm and hurricane force winds). Usually if my part of Alabama sees winds that strong,  there are roofs blowing off houses,  winged monkeys flying about,  and a green woman going on about some house falling on her sister.  Sure hope you get some better weather soon!

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Yes, 100 mph is hurricane force.  A tropical storm becomes a hurricane at sustained winds of 74 mph; 100 mph winds are in the low end of category 2, actually.  :)

So saith the delegation from Florida, wherein we deal with the silly things pretty near every summer/early fall.  :P
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

The weather men are calling them hurricane force winds  (apparently we can't actually get hurricanes here because it's not warm enough???)  adding to the general chaos. The strongest gust on land was recorded at 108 mph in North Wales earlier today No red shoes seen sticking out from under houses that I know off, but maybe they're keeping that quiet.

(Psalm 46 v1)

Evie

Quote from: revanne on February 12, 2014, 03:40:11 PM
The weather men are calling them hurricane force winds  (apparently we can't actually get hurricanes here because it's not warm enough???)  adding to the general chaos. The strongest gust on land was recorded at 108 mph in North Wales earlier today No red shoes seen sticking out from under houses that I know off, but maybe they're keeping that quiet.

Be careful if you find any.  You might end up in Kansas!   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Quote from: Evie on February 12, 2014, 04:00:04 PM

Be careful if you find any.  You might end up in Kansas!   ;)

*Shudder*

No, not that!!

Run and hide, Revanne! Kansas isn't called the "Land of Blahs" for nothing.

**Sends weather-stabilizing spell to Revanne**

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc