• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:32:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 142
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 122
Total: 122
Sogou

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Chemical Spill

Started by Elkhound, January 10, 2014, 10:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Next bit of the ongoing soap opera.  Last night the furnace went out.  After consulting with my friend who is a BSMET and has experience with HVAC convinced me that the igniter was out.  (My furnace is gas, but rather than a pilot light, it has an electric igniter.) 

Last night I put every blanket I could find on the bed as Rupert and I snuggled together (cats put out a LOT of heat!) and this morning I went to Pile Hardware.  I found the igniter and when I went to pay for it---my debit card was declined.  Why, I don't know as I had PLENTY of money on it!  Called another friend who came and loaned me the money to pay for it.  Brought it home, had my engineer friend install it, and while the house is certainly cold still, the blower is roaring, the burner is flaming, and warm air is coming out of the vents.

Aerlys

Wow, glad you were able to get the part, and have someone you trust fix your furnace. Being cold is the worst! You are quite fortunate.

Shortly after we bought our house (aka "The Money Pit"), both furnaces quit on us. (Yes, it has two, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.). Unfortunately, both furnaces had to be replaced.  There was also a decrepit wood furnace in the basement, though I think a hair dryer would've worked better.

A bit disturbing about the debit card, though. Hope the bank resolves it soon!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Jerusha

There's nothing like a "warm furry" to keep the cold at bay (with some assistance from the pile of blankets.)  Glad you have regular heat again.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

I strongly believe in keeping one or more PHUs around the house for just that purpose.

What's a PHU? Why it's a portable heating unit or aka  four legged furry friend. The colder it gets the longer they're willing to stay close and keep you warm.

Elkhound, I am so glad you had a PHU about and I'm glad you got the furnace fixed the next day.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

I call it a FHWB--Furry Hot Water Bottle.

Be assured I will be calling the Credit Union on Monday!

AnnieUK

We call them furry hot water bottles, too. Best thing is, they don't go cold in the night. Although hot water bottles take up less space, and don't tend to get bigger as the night progresses. Or is it just me that wakes up clinging to the edge of the bed, with the cat taking up all the prime space in the middle?

Jerusha

No Annie, it's not just you.  We had to get a bigger bed because there was no room left for me!  ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

The furnace is working, although my apartment is still chilly.  Rupert spends most of his time as close to the heating vent as he can, but as soon as I'm in bed, he's up there and curls up next to me. 

Laurna

Good Rupert! Good FHWB!
* Laurna Sends the ginger kitty a scratch behind the ear.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Rupert says, "Prrrriit!"

Elkhound

The house is still cold, although marginally less so.  The furnace is going full-blast, but between the bricks of the house being chilled and the outside cold, it can't really make much headway.  The forecast calls for 50*F this weekend, so that should help.

Evie

I hope you get that warmer weather tomorrow.  We are also supposed to have a high in the low 50s.  That will definitely be better than the 9F I woke up to either early this morning or yesterday.  I took a pain pill and went straight back to bed for a few more hours!  :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!