• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 76
Total: 76
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

I hate to mention this in this fashion . . .

Started by Jared, January 03, 2014, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

But I just got word yesterday that Scott Norton, of San Diego, who I've known since 1971, and who first introduced me to the Deryni, SF Fandom and Katherine, passed away Wednesday of congestive heart failure at the age of 61.

May Camber protect him. He was friend, door opener, way-pointer and surrogate conscience for many, many years.

Jim Davis
"Jared"
SCA: Baron Jared Alexandre Blaydeaux

DesertRose

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm not sure KK checks the boards that often, so I'll forward your message to her in an email.

Peace be with his family and loved ones in this difficult time.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jared

Thanks -- I don't have an e-mail for her any more, or I'd do it myself. Scott and I had hosted a reading by her for Camber of Culdi in our then shared home back in 1976. I didn't know if she'd remember him or not.

DesertRose

She's got a mind like a steel trap.  I bet she remembers.

Again, I'm sorry for the loss.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jared

Your picture looks familiar. Do I know you from other fandom or the old Deryni Round Robin, or even from the work I did on the map of Gwynnedd or the game book?

Laurna

Hello Jared(Jim). You just mentioned that you did work on the map and game book. That is very cool. Now I have to ask, and excuse my ignorance as I am a new old fan, Did you do the maps in the books, or the game book, or perhaps the poster. I am a fan of traveling and I believe that maps bring realism to author's worlds. No matter how large or how small, I will just say thank you to what your contribution has brought to this world.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Quote from: Jared on January 04, 2014, 08:36:32 PM
Your picture looks familiar. Do I know you from other fandom or the old Deryni Round Robin, or even from the work I did on the map of Gwynnedd or the game book?

Beats the heck out of me.  I've been in Deryni fandom for a while, but I've never made it to a con or anything like that.

Jared

Quote from: Laurna on January 04, 2014, 09:02:43 PM
Hello Jared(Jim). You just mentioned that you did work on the map and game book. That is very cool. Now I have to ask, and excuse my ignorance as I am a new old fan, Did you do the maps in the books, or the game book, or perhaps the poster. I am a fan of traveling and I believe that maps bring realism to author's worlds. No matter how large or how small, I will just say thank you to what your contribution has brought to this world.

Thank you, Laurna. I did a lot of the "finish work" on the map -- textures, rivers, names, etc. With the book, I actually did most of the layout, and even wrote, as I recall, the chapter on weapons and fighting.

I've been a Deryni fan since 1972, so it was a great deal of fun for me.

Evie

Quote from: Jared on January 05, 2014, 06:18:28 PM

Thank you, Laurna. I did a lot of the "finish work" on the map -- textures, rivers, names, etc. With the book, I actually did most of the layout, and even wrote, as I recall, the chapter on weapons and fighting.

Do you mean the maps in the RPG book?  Cool!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jared

Quote from: Evie on January 05, 2014, 07:04:31 PM

Actually, I did a lot of the finish work on the big Map of the Eleven Kingdoms.

Evie

Quote from: Jared on January 06, 2014, 01:10:51 PM
Quote from: Evie on January 05, 2014, 07:04:31 PM

The poster map, then?  I've got a copy of that one framed and hanging above the desk in my bedroom.  I've referred to it quite often while writing fanfic, especially the City of Rhemuth mini-map in the corner, which is helpful when I want to envision where a certain gate might be in relation to the castle, or where a good place might be to locate an inn or a shop near Market Square.  Since it's one of the few maps with a mileage guide, it's also very helpful for estimating distances between two points.  That in itself is a very helpful asset for a fanfic writer.  The RPG book is also a great resource, especially for the little details that aren't mentioned in the novels.  :)

--WARNING!!!--

Jared

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The poster map, then?  I've got a copy of that one framed and hanging above the desk in my bedroom.  I've referred to it quite often while writing fanfic, especially the City of Rhemuth mini-map in the corner, which is helpful when I want to envision where a certain gate might be in relation to the castle, or where a good place might be to locate an inn or a shop near Market Square.  Since it's one of the few maps with a mileage guide, it's also very helpful for estimating distances between two points.  That in itself is a very helpful asset for a fanfic writer.  The RPG book is also a great resource, especially for the little details that aren't mentioned in the novels.  :)
[/quote]

Where would I find your fanfic? I love reading tales by people who love the series and 'verse as much as I do. They were the first fantasy kingdoms I ever felt "homesick" for.

Evie

Where would I find your fanfic? I love reading tales by people who love the series and 'verse as much as I do. They were the first fantasy kingdoms I ever felt "homesick" for.

In the Deryni Fanfic section of the forum,  DesertRose has just put together a table of contents linking to all the stories posted on the forum thus far.  I also have a pinned post near the top of that board listing a suggested reading order for my stories with links to the opening chapters of each one.  A few of us have also cross posted our stories to the Katherine Kurtz section on Fanfiction.net, since multi-chapter stories are easier to read there.  (Though DR's chapter by chapter Table of Contents will make them easier to follow here too from now on,  so thanks,  DR!)

--WARNING!!!--

Jared

Well, I just finished "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" and it was delightful, though I confess I had Avisa pegged the moment she showed up. <grin>

I loved the characters, the pacing, and the little bits of Deryni magic that popped up,

Evie

Quote from: Jared on January 08, 2014, 08:52:57 PM
Well, I just finished "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" and it was delightful, though I confess I had Avisa pegged the moment she showed up. <grin>

I loved the characters, the pacing, and the little bits of Deryni magic that popped up,

I'm glad you enjoyed it,  and if that was the first of my stories that you've read,  I'm also delighted to hear that the story works even when read out of sequence.  (Nearly all of my stories belong to a single story arc, meant to be read in the order they were written,  or at least in the order of the story arc's internal chronology,  which is the same more often than not.)  After discovering the younger generation of Arilans in the Codex, I couldn't resist working them into my fanfic version of the Deryniverse as often as the opportunities presented themselves.  :)

--WARNING!!!--