collapse

Welcome to the Worlds of Katherine Kurtz

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle!

KK Chat is at 7pm Eastern on Sundays, except on the first Sunday of the month, when it is at 5pm Eastern to accommodate fans in the UK and Europe.

Come join us in chat! And Happy reading!

Pin yourself on the member map.

Author Topic: Happy Halloween  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan & Rhys Thuryn-May they be Family.
Happy Halloween
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:34:10 pm »
Have a happy scary day with jack-o-lanterns and sweets.
Don't let the trickier-treaters give you a trick, treat them with candy instead.
Happy haunting.

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
Re: Happy Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:33:46 pm »
And a happy Samhain!

Don't forget to save a treat or two for personal consumption.   ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Offline Aerlys

• Baron/Baroness
  • Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »

Happy Halloween!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
  • Earl/Countess
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »
I'm stuck at work until nine pm. on Halloween... And the cats wouldn't wear their little outfits.  ;) Couldn't pass out candy to trick-or-treaters, so I really had no excuse to buy any. Not the most fun Samhain of my life!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 02:51:14 am »
Aerlys, when I saw the McDonald dogs on my dinner break I had a wonderful laugh. Thanks.
Usually I see someone at work in costume, (have I mentioned that costuming is my hobby,) but no one dressed up today. In fact, half my patients did not make their appointments today.  I am not complaining. Hopefully they all had a good night out instead.
Melissa I understand how you feel. Although I am not at home for trick-or-treaters, I did buy a huge bag of candy, and I did manage to pass out some of it to fellow employees.  However, I refuse to admit how much of it that I ate. Fortunately, I left the bag at work. With luck it will be gone by tomorrow.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:56:56 am »
Happy All Saints Day and belated Halloween!  Since the kids were out doing their own stuff, Hubby and I went to see the opening night of Ender's Game instead of anything trick-or-treat related.  (Though we're going to a costume party this weekend, so I suppose that will be our "Halloween.")

"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline Aerlys

• Baron/Baroness
  • Ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:43:55 am »
Belated Happy All Saints' Day! Our church is having the kids' All Saints' Day party tomorrow, so the festivities continue in our house. I emphatically do not sew, so every year brings daring feats of  engineering that would make MacGuyver swoon, as we jerry rig oversized shirts, material scraps, cardboard, duct tape, contact paper and truck loads of safety pins, in an attempt to  transform our kids into saints. (Oh, if only it were that easy, right?)  We've even made a beard out of a napkin, tape, and twisties when the "real" one was left at home.

Look,. s like we won't be home before chat tomorrow, though.  :( 
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Prince/Princess
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 10:13:59 am »
Happy Halloween from the Milky Way Galaxy!  ;)

The Milky Way Galaxy by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

And from these tiny Trick-or-Treaters here at the office today:

Mini Halloween Costumes by evian_delacourt, on Flickr

Bishop Duncan thought he could get away with wearing his everyday cassock as his Halloween costume, but I told him he had to put in more of an effort than that, so this is his last minute attempt at a Star of Bethlehem costume.   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline MidnightBlue

• Squire
  • Favorite Character: Sir Adam Sinclair
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 10:44:29 am »
Very nice!  Happy Halloween!

I dressed up as a "homicidal accountant during tax season" today.  To paraphrase Wednesday Addams, we look this way all the time.

;D

I'd already posted my traditional Halloween plans conversationally, but more on topic:

1. I'll watch my all-time favorite ghost story/mystery...the 1944 black and white classic "The Uninvited".  I wore out the VHS tape that I'd found in a bargain bin while in college...and then it took them until 2013 to finally put the movie out on DVD.  If you haven't seen it, it's a must!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037415/?ref_=rvi_tt

2. Three years ago, Growling Door Games ran a Kickstarter that ended on Halloween to publish the third edition of the Chill Roleplaying Game...a horror-themed game where the players are members of SAVE, an organization fighting to protect humanity from the supernatural Unknown.  Every year since then there has been a Chill 3E Kickstarter for a new sourcebook for the game...Chill: SAVE - The Eternal Society, Chill: Monsters, and this year, Chill: Undead.  So after watching "The Uninvited", I'll be participating on the Chill: Undead Kickstarter comments page, counting down the close of the project at 9pm CDT like the dropping of a gore-stained ball in Times Square.  The only difference is that the Undead will be at this party, instead of the next morning when the hangovers kick in.

;D

I hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:04:41 am by MidnightBlue »

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 11:18:59 am »
Happy Halloween/All Hallows' Eve/Samhain (as applicable) to everyone!

I'm not doing much for Halloween this year.  I don't get trick-or-treaters at my home even were I there right now, and I doubt my parents get them either, since they live in a small neighborhood without many children living here anymore.  (All the kids who lived here when my daughter was little have grown up, as has my pod-child [HOW is she 25 already?!?], and/or moved away.)

But I love the holiday.  Costumes are fun, candy is yummy, and some of our ancestors (literal or more general) would probably appreciate being honored with yummy treats, fun, and humor!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Laurna

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 12:10:08 pm »
Happy Halloween and Samhain  to all!

Evie, the Milky way rainbow galaxy looks like good fun, and glad Duncan and friends have come along.
DR enjoy your day, Is your pod child really 25? Hope she and all your family have a good safe day.
Hey MidnightBlue, glad you could join us. Hope the Homicidal accountant is only during today. LOL

As for me.......
Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly.
Hunted Victorian house goes western. We have skeleton gamblers and Solon girls. Big Red, our hostess, will invite you in to see. I believe the dead man's hand was just dealt to our gambler in black. That did not bode well for Wild Bill Hickok. we shall see how our gambler fares.
So I am off to finish the graveyard and try to keep the skeletons from rising from their graves.
Mmmmhaaahhhaaa!

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »
Happy Halloween and Samhain  to all!

DR enjoy your day, Is your pod child really 25? Hope she and all your family have a good safe day.

Yup.  She had her 25th birthday in September.

She went to work today (she works at a child-care center right now, although she just got her LPN license and is looking for work using that education, but she's had the child-care job for a while, and hey, it's legal and it's a paycheck!) dressed as Rey from The Force Awakens.  She has a dark-brown wig styled in Rey's three bun hairdo, because that hairstyle is a right pain to do, so once she got the wig styled that way, she decided that would be the Rey wig, end of story.   ;D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline MidnightBlue

• Squire
  • Favorite Character: Sir Adam Sinclair
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 03:31:11 pm »
Hey MidnightBlue, glad you could join us. Hope the Homicidal accountant is only during today. LOL

During tax season...don't provoke us.  That's all I'm going to say on that subject.  Well, that and body bags CAN be tax deductible if you can prove the expense to be necessary for the job.

:o

Happy to be here, though I'm sure I'll be little more than a lurker until I get the itch to start a couple of Adept-themed projects going.  But I've been looking around for a couple of weeks, reading some posts, and you all seem like a really good bunch.  Such a rare find in the mean and hateful interwebs.  Be proud of the community you've all built here.

:)

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Duke/Duchess
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 03:55:40 pm »
Happy to be here, though I'm sure I'll be little more than a lurker until I get the itch to start a couple of Adept-themed projects going.  But I've been looking around for a couple of weeks, reading some posts, and you all seem like a really good bunch.  Such a rare find in the mean and hateful interwebs.  Be proud of the community you've all built here.

:)

Why thank you!  Some of it is that this is a relatively small fandom comprised of a lot of people who've known each other for a good number of years; it definitely makes the moderation work easier when people are generally polite at minimum (and often even kinder than "politeness" tends to mean).

That being said, because this is a relatively small fandom, we're always glad to have new folks join because YAY more people to share the obsession!

Offline Jerusha

• Donor
  • Duke/Duchess
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni
  • Favorite Character: Alaric Morgan
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 09:24:13 pm »
Happy Samhain to all!  We had 106 trick or treaters - all very polite and in much more elaborate costumes than in my youth.

Welcome MidnightBlue!  Glad you have joined us.

Nice costume, Evie, but the flamingo will always be my personal favourite!  ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[November 18, 2017, 07:56:16 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by MidnightBlue
[November 18, 2017, 07:19:43 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Jerusha
[November 18, 2017, 06:22:20 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Laurna
[November 18, 2017, 06:19:48 pm]

Re: Happy birthday, Laurna! by Demercia
[November 18, 2017, 03:55:49 pm]

* Who's Online