• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148
Google (3)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Mini-Deryni Chronicles website

Started by Evie, August 27, 2013, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

Rather than risk this link getting buried in the Deryni Action Figure Project thread, I am creating a separate thread for it:

http://minideryni.weebly.com/index.html 
The Mini-Deryni Chronicles

Currently I've only got the Prologue of the photostory posted (which I originally linked to in the Action Figure Project thread), but today I also added a Who's Who section, and I could use some feedback on it.  Is there too much biographical information on the characters?  Too little?  Just enough?  I realize there's no really good way to post bio blurbs without including spoilers for the books, which is why there is a bold spoilers warning at the top of the Who's Who page.  On the other hand, some of the people following this project have never read the series, so they probably need to get some idea of the character backstories and interrelationships in order to understand what is going on as the photostory progresses.  So do these blurbs strike a good balance?  And what would be the best way to designate the difference between canonical and non-canonical characters?  Different color text for the non-canonicals, maybe?  Or some sort of symbol by their name, such as an asterisk?

I am hoping there won't be too long of a wait before I can pull a Chapter One together.  I still need to build Duncan's study before that can happen, but at least I've got some walls for it now, even if they're still uncarved pink foamboard instead of lovely stone block walls.  Hopefully after DragonCon I'll have some time to start work on it.  I will probably have to start off with very tight close-up shots that don't reveal much of the background, because there are some essential furniture pieces that I don't have yet, but I'd at least like to have decent walls and a tapestry and prop or two in the background of those shots, if nothing else.   :D

I'll post updates in this thread as new chapters or website sections are posted.  I'm also still toying with the idea of whether or not to try to upload the text stories to this site so I can add "illustration" photos here and there to those stories as time permits and the spirit moves, or whether to just add links to this forum and/or Fanfiction.net and call it a day.    Thoughts?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

I like the bios.  They might not tell a stranger to the Eleven Kingdoms much, but for those of us who have read KK's stuff, that's a good amount of information for each character.  And anyway, if someone hasn't read canon, why are they playing around in pictorial fanfiction anyway?  :P
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

I think your bios are good.  For those who have not read the books yet, they tantalize with the stories behind them without giving too much away.  It entices the interested reader to read more.

Perhaps a simple "non-canonical" disclaimer would work for the characters you have created.  They deserve their due regard, but one should not expect them to appear in the original books.

Of course, one does hope they will appear in future stories, whether in pictures or not.   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

There are quite a few action figure and fashion doll photostory websites online (like regular graphic novels, but with photos of posed figures instead of drawn illustrations), and fans of those are usually keen to discover new series.  Mine is somewhat unusual in that it is a fanfic of an established story world rather than an original setting and characters.   The folks at Figurvore are enjoying seeing this project come to life as a photostory, despite most of them knowing nothing about the books.  Hm...maybe I should add links to KK's Amazon.com page?

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Jerusha said:
QuotePerhaps a simple "non-canonical" disclaimer would work for the characters you have created.  They deserve their due regard, but one should not expect them to appear in the original books.

I agree. Perhaps it could be placed directly before the bio.

It looks and reads great! I look forward to more. Wish I had your time and energy!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

What I've decided to try for designating canonical vs noncanonical characters is using black text for the canonical character bios, and brick red text for the noncanonical character bios, with a mention of the color code just before the first (Kelson's) bio entry.  I'm a visual sort of person, so color coding seems to be the most intuitive way to go for me.  Plus, it keeps me from having to type a disclaimer line or type "Noncanonical" in every non-canon character's bio, which I suspect would start to look repetitive after a while.

Aerlys, I wish I had time and energy too.  Actually, it's just that I try to always keep my two clones handy.  For example, at lunch today, while I ate my sandwiches, Me was cutting out Sister Therese's new Schola robe, and Myself was reading a book.   Now if only there were more hours in the day for the clones and I to work with, I might get things done more quickly!  ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Evie said:
QuoteActually, it's just that I try to always keep my two clones handy.

Oh, geez. If let my clones in I'd spend more time cleaning up after them.

Sigh...
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

LOL!  I love Calvin and Hobbes.  My favorite T-Shirt (thanks to Annie for finding it for me!) is a crossover between the TV show Firefly and Calvin and Hobbes, with Calvin dressed as a Browncoat and Hobbes wearing a Jayne hat:

They're Malvin and Cobbes.   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

I'm afraid I'm out of the loop on "Firefly."   :(   Haven't had regular TV in years.

Here's another I know you''d like:

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

LOL @ Chewie and Han!

I didn't catch Firefly when it was on TV.  It had already been cancelled, so I discovered it via the internet and then finding the DVD collection.  Fortunately, since there are only 13 or so episodes, all in one boxed 4-DVD set, plus the movie Serenity to wrap up some loose ends, it's not a hard series to collect.   :)

--WARNING!!!--

AnnieUK

I've got this one, too.

http://www.qwertee.com/product/le-tigre-raye/

It normally gets curious glances, rather than recognition. But when I wore it to LFCC it got a "Yay! Calvin and Hobbes!" from Jason Momoa. I do like that man. :)

Elkhound

When Calvin gets a little older, he'll probably read KK.

Aerlys

Elkhound said:
QuoteWhen Calvin gets a little older, he'll probably read KK.

Oh, man, imagine the fanfic he'd write:

"All is quiet in Rhemuth. Suddenly, the silence is broken by the invading forces of Gwynedd's  arch-nemesis, the  evil Lord Teymuraz!  The hapless citizens flee in panic. Is all lost?

No, look! Here comes the intrepid Lord Calvin the Magnificent, astride a T-rex. He blasts the evildoer to oblivion with his all-powerful, flame-throwing spell of doom. With a few mighty steps, his dinosaur is upon the fleeing soldiers and devours them one by one...""

Hilaire Belloc

Elkhound

AnnieUK

Quote from: Aerlys on August 29, 2013, 07:38:18 PM
Elkhound said:
QuoteWhen Calvin gets a little older, he'll probably read KK.

Oh, man, imagine the fanfic he'd write:

"All is quiet in Rhemuth. Suddenly, the silence is broken by the invading forces of Gwynedd's  arch-nemesis, the  evil Lord Teymuraz!  The hapless citizens flee in panic. Is all lost?

No, look! Here comes the intrepid Lord Calvin the Magnificent, astride a T-rex. He blasts the evildoer to oblivion with his all-powerful, flame-throwing spell of doom. With a few mighty steps, his dinosaur is upon the fleeing soldiers and devours them one by one...""

Where's the "like" button on this forum?