• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Jerusha

Today at 11:19:50 AM
Bynw, my Tiny Dungeons book is back in Canada, and I won't have access to it until early next month.  Can my character wait that long?
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,556
  • Total Topics: 2,731
  • Online today: 67
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 01:08:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deryni Drugs

Started by Aerlys, August 25, 2013, 01:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlys

OK, we're all familiar with merasha, but something is niggling in the back of my mind that there was another (more painful) one. Anyone remember, or is this just a figment of my over-active imagination?
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

I think there were other drugs with similar effects, but I can't think of any that were mentioned that had worse effects than merasha.  I know I certainly wouldn't want to be the poor Deryni who had to endure something worse than merasha!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

For some reason, I had remembered merasha as causing physical pain, along with the disorientaion, grogginess, and total disruption of powers.

However, while re-reading CtH, Rhys gives Tavis the same drugged wine given to the three princes, and the side effects, while unpleasant, certainly didn't seem to cause the kind of agony I had related to merasha. The same goes for when Tavis turned the tables on Rhys. Am I just reading this wrong, or does this just seem like the Deryni equivalent of slipping a mickey?

***excuse me while I smack my husband for being distracitng and a total smeghead***

Where was I?

Now, Tavis does mention anhalon (any further info?), and there was seemingly something else added to the mixture. I suppose one can speculate that the other drugs counteracted some of its effects...

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

BalanceTheEnergies

Quote from: Aerlys on August 25, 2013, 01:31:16 AM
OK, we're all familiar with merasha, but something is niggling in the back of my mind that there was another (more painful) one. Anyone remember, or is this just a figment of my over-active imagination?

I think you're referring to the stuff Stefan Coram used against Wencit and the others in Ch. 27 of High Deryni. He says it's similar to merasha in many respects, but "it cannot be detected as that; and also unlike merasha,  it is a slow poison." Arilan tells Morgan that he knows what antidote Coram took to both delay the first effects and speed his end, but he doesn't say what it or the original poison was. We are told that the original poison alone will take at least a day to kill Wencit, Lionel and Bran Coris. Is that what you mean?

Aerlys

I forgot about that one, but maybe that's what was niggling at me. What I seemed to remember was a "fire in the veins" reaction. Of course, I read so many different things, I may just be mixing things up. For what I'm working on, I may just need to come up with something of my own.

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Fire in the veins sounds lovely.  Guaranteed to get someone's attention.   :)

Oh, wait, was that my inner Walter the Sociopath talking?  *hastily gags that voice with duct tape*
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

tenworld

ouso does that (fire in the veins), almost certainly invented by a descendant of Wencil.

Aerlys

Quote from: tenworld on September 03, 2013, 03:14:30 PM
ouso does that (fire in the veins), almost certainly invented by a descendant of Wencil.

Is that a Deryni drug, or do you mean "ouzo?'   :D  I suppose moonshine could have the same effect, Deryni or not...

Personally, I prefer absinthe.

Hilaire Belloc

Aerlys

I just uncovered my long-lost copy of Deryni Magic, and-- lo and behold!-- there's a section on Deryni-specific drugs.

Oh well, better late than never.

Hilaire Belloc