• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 109
Total: 109
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

What time frame is the Deryni World set in?

Started by Poet Knight, March 01, 2008, 09:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poet Knight

As someone else said here on the board, I am old to the Deryni series of books but new to this Forum. I have just one question, thanks to some of the jacket illustrations by Darrell K Sweet, I have often wondered what era would the Deryni world be set in-Analogous to our own. In my minds eye, I always saw the first three books set in the early 14th century. A sort of alternative Europe during the 100 years war era.

Can anyone tell me how far off the mark I am? Just curious...as to some of the terms used in KK's books, it leads me to think of that time.

All the best!

-DS Baker

Shiral

You're  not too far off, I'd say. Take the Darrell K. Sweet cover art with a grain or two of salt.  :) (In fact, that's not a bad idea with MOST cover art.)  I believe Katherine considers the Camberian books to be analagous to our 10th century, while the Kelson timeline is set in the twelfth. So early, and approaching the High Middle Ages. In some respects the Deryni World is a little ahead of our own in terms of technology. But for the most part, the medieval world with a corresponding level of learning and technology is the right era.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!